FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for info on Dutch WWII unit position.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for info on Dutch WWII unit position.

Hi All,

visited the cemetary where most of my kin is burried last weekend, and noticed the grave there of a Dutch soldier that died on May 10th 1940. His unit was ST. II 37 R.I.

I think this is Staff 2nd Bataillon, 37th Infantry Regiment. My question is: does anybody know where this unit was on May 10th?

KR,
    Frank.

This site might be useful...
    http://www.waroverholland.nl
    ...if you don't find the answer than just email the owner as he is very helpful.

Comment

Hello,

This unit was stationed in the southern region of Holland called Limburg. In Obbicht near Sittard and Geleen is a memorial for two dutch soldiers of this unit who died here.
      The bridge was taken by a group of Brandenburgers.

memorial:
      http://www.oorlogsmusea.nl/artikel/1...0-Mei-1940.htm

Comment

St. II-37 R.I. was located at Grevenbich. II-37 R.I. was to defend an area called Vak Grevenbich, situated in the northen part of South-Limburg. It had to defend the Vak on 3 lines:
        - 1st Line: along the border with Germany, between Munstergeleen and Pepinusbrug 2 Coy's (minus 1 Platoon) "secured the border" and only had the task of warning when the Germans came, and set up some baricade's in order to delay the German troops. After having done that they should fall back on the 2nd Line;
        - 2nd Line: along the railway N.- and S. of Sittard-station. 1 Platoon. This was ordered to cover the tetreat of the 1st Line-Coy's and delay the German troops. Then pull back to the
        - 3rd Line: along the West-Bank of the Julianakanaal from Urmond to Maasbracht. 2 Inf. + 1 MG-Coy, with 2 AT-Guns and 2 6-Veld. This was where the troops had to fight 'till the bitter end i.o. to delay the Germans as much as possible and provide the Belgiums with as much time as possible to prepair themselves for the Germans.

If you have the name of the soldier I can most likely provide more details.

Comment

Hi Ypenburg,

Wow, that is very detailed indeed!

The soldier's name is Hubertus Tilmans. "Soldier', no other rank given. He died on 10.5.1940. Burried in Brunssum.

Kind regards,
          Frank.

Comment

Hallo Frank,

Well, since I'm currently busy with everything that happened on the so called "Maas-linie" in the morning of May 10th 1940, I have f.e. copied all Dutch AAR's, not to mention the german paperwork I copied in Freiburg.

But back to Tilmans, in short: His rank was soldier (soldaat), so a Private. He died at Illikhoven, a small village south of Roosteren, on the Julianakanaal. The bridge there was attacked by German forces (it was situated in the German 31. ID's sector of operation).
            The frontline (2,5 km) was defended by 1 Platoon (Co Lt. Van Hulten), some Militairy Police, and had 3 small bunkers: 1 about 1000 m south of the bridge, 1 at 600 m and 1 at 1200 m north of the bridge.

Tilman was a member of the section Sgt. Bekx, and was in a small MG-bunker, type called kazemat, 1200 m north of the bridge. The bridge, probably attacked by a unit of the Brandenburger Bau-Lehr-Btl. z.bV.800(but I'm still working on that detail) was demolished by the Dutch at about 03:45. The kazemat Tilmans was in was fired upon by german MG's, PAK and soon also 88 Flak. According to the testamony of Sgt. Bekx the kazemat was hit by 88 Flak. He saw how the heavely wounded private Aretz (who died later) left the kazemat. After Bekx entered the kazemat to check on his men, he found Tilmans. The right part of his face was blown away. He then found the heavely wounded (on the head) private Bellen, wo also died of his wounds. When he then started to look for Cpl. De Lange (KIA) the kazemat recieved a new hit by 88 Flak, wounding Bekx on the head. He then left the kazemat and ordered the remaining part of his section to retreat. After 2 hrs of fighting the Dutch tried to reach the bridge at Maaseik, however they were all captured by German troops moving in from Roosteren.

In totall 8 Dutch soldiers died at Illikhoven. Since I'm still waiting for some detailed paperwork from Freiburg I do not heave the correct numbers on the Germans.

Comment

Hi Ypenburg,

Amazing! So much info, never thought I would get this far with it...

Found this web page, with a picture of one of the three bunkers at Illikhoven.

http://roermond19391945.yourbb.nl/viewtopic.php?t=398

I don't think there is anything left of the bunkers now.....

KR, and many thanks again!

Frank.

Comment

Die II. Bataillon durch Holland - 1940.

Hello to all ; pushing up an old thread to solve a little doubt (hey Hugo are you there?).....

Bericht über die Erlebnisse des II. Bataillon durch Holland.......

May 09, 1940. 15:20 hours Alarm word "Frühlingsanfang" (Beginning of spring). At 22:00 hours began the march of the reinforced Battalion by Schierwaldenrath, Langbroich, Schunim, Bucherheide, Gross und Klein Wehagen. Attached units: one Platoon 14. Coy; one Platoon 13 Coy; one Platoon Pi Btl 31; one Platoon Flak Rgt "Hermann Göring"; one gun Pz Jäg Abt 560; one Group AR 31.

May 10, 1940. The march proceeded towards the border line by Höngen, Havert, Schalbruch and Isenbruch. At Schalbruch readiness area of the 7. Coy (reinf.). At 05:35 the border was crossed without resistance.

Area of Operation http://maps.google.com.ar/maps?hl=es...ed=0CBwQ8gEwAg

Source: Fotoalbum, 103x Fotos, Fotoecken und Einsatzbeschreibung Inf.Nachr.Ers.Komp.31.eBay Auction.

Now this unit could be the II./ IR 82? or another one (IR 12, IR 17)?. TIA. Cheers. Raúl M

Comment

Originally posted by tigre View Post
                  The march proceeded towards the border line by Höngen, Havert, Schalbruch and Isenbruch. At Schalbruch readiness area of the 7. Coy (reinf.). At 05:35 the border was crossed without resistance.
                  This is the verst. II./IR82.

Regards,

Ypenburg

Comment

Die II. Bataillon durch Holland - 1940.

Hello to all ; thank you very much Hugo.............. Cheers. Raúl M .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X