Help Please Feldpost L55072

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please Feldpost L55072

I need a little help please. Does anyone have details of the Luftwaffe unit assigned Feldpost Nr. L55072 in February 1943? The number is from the stamp on a death scroll for a pilot flying with III./KG3 and killed 23rd Feb 1943.

Thanks for any help.

best wishes
    Tim O.

Tim,

Have you read it correctly as it is not for the same unit?

FP Nr. 55072 - 29.12.1943 4. Batterie, Fallschirm-Flak-Abteilung 4

/Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Hi Ian

THanks for your help on this. I guess the '7' could be a '1'. Here is the document and a close up of the stamp.

This airman started as a Bordfunker in the Polish campaign and qualified as a pilot in 1943 so I guess it is conceivable he transferred to the ground forces by 1944 (due to nerves, etc). Is it possible the notice was issued by someone other than his commander or that his commander used the wrong stamp (e.g. for the airfield defence troops)?

I had assumed the signature was of Major Martin Vetter, CO of III./KG3 at that time.

best wishes
      Tim O.
      Attached Files

Comment

Close-up of stamp...
        Attached Files

Comment

55012 belongs to:

(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) Stab Zerstörer-Geschwader 101.

While 55017 (another possibility perhaps) belongs to:

(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) Luftdienst-Kommando der Luftflotte 6,

(8.9.1943-22.4.1944) 8.10.1943 Luftdienst-Kommando des Luftflotten-Kommando 6,

(23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 29.7.1944 Flieger-Ziel-Staffel 60, am 11.11.1944 gestrichen.

Comment

Thats is FP Nr. 55012 as the person signing it is Major Heinz Nacke RK, CO of Zerstörer Geschwader 101.

This link gives his details, however it does say he was appointed to Command of ZG 101 as an Oberst! Clearly that is a mistake as he signed your document as a Major!

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/nacke.html

http://www.ww2.dk/air/zerstorer/zg101.html

/Ian
            Last edited by Ian Jewison; 09-20-2009, 05:56 AM.

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Not the best example but hopefully you can see his signature here......this is taken from Ernst Obermaier's book on Fighter pilot Knight's Cross winners.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ian and Hucks, this is fantastic information and opens up a whole new avenue of research - perhaps my man went from Bordfunker to bomber pilot to Zerstörer pilot?

Plenty to follow up on!

Thank you very much indeed for your help. Very much appreciated. Thank you particularly Ian for the photo and identification of the signature - excellent work and amazingly fast too!

best wishes
                Tim O.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X