Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10th Infantry Reserve?

Hello!

I recently picked up a Infantry Reserve Waffenrock. According to shoulder boards it is from the 10th I.R. I am not sure how reserve units are used in Wermacht. Would this reserve unit be attached to the 10th I.D.? I was told this unit was destroyed in Stalingrad. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin

You can try heer , but it's in German. I'll see if I can find anything else. http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...enter/IR10.htm

Comment

Thanks Raymond!

I found this site as well as several others. I think I may be off base on my definition of this unit. Would a reserve unit also be called a replacement unit? Would the 10th reserve unit be a division, regiment..?

Kevin

Comment

Hi,

If you bought this rock from Robert, it was to a reserve officer assigned to the 10th Inf Regt. That waffenrock is a beauty and has passed thru several well known collections of members of this forum.

Gary B
        ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

The 10 Inf. Rgt was dismantled in 1940 and used to form two other regiments, it did not serve with the 10th Division (by the way the 10th Division was not destroyed at Stalingrad). He would have been a reserve officer assigned to a line-unit the unit itself was not reserve.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Johnny! Sorry to ask so many questions. When you say a reserve officer assigned to a line unit; does this mean he would go with whatever unit he was assigned? So he could end up anywhere? This is the same rock as discussed by Gary B.

Thanks!!

Comment

By reserve officer think reservist or part-timer. During the war of course they were full time soldiers as the armed forces had mobilized.

The only other thing to add and to be honest it's still not something i'm 100% sure of, is whether permanent staff of replacement and training regiments also wore unit numbers on their shoulder straps. In this case there was an Infanterie Ersatz Regiment 10 (later changed to Grenadier Ersatz Regiment 10).
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thnak you! Great feedback! Now it makes sense to my small brain. If this unit was converted to a Grenadier unit would they be issued a new Rock? I assume there would be different piping for a Grenadier?

Comment

No. Don't confuse Grenadier with Panzer-Grenadier. The change from Infanterie to Grenadier was one of name only and affected all infantry regiments in late 1942

Confused? you will be..
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Yes .... a little.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X