V2 Rocket Unit: 1 Batt Art-Abt (Mot) 962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V2 Rocket Unit: 1 Batt Art-Abt (Mot) 962

I've received information about my grandfather from 'Deutsche Dienststelle', some of which does not make sense (timelines) and I therefore wanted to throw it out to the forum for comment/clarification.

My grandfather (Obergefreiter Wilhelm Mohlenbrock) was posted to 4. Batterie Artillerie-Ersatz-Abteilung (teilmotorisiert) 271 in Schneidemuhl on 16 Dec 43. My research indicates that 271 was a training unit for the V2 rocket programme. On 13 Nov 44, my grandfather was posted from 271 to 1. Batterie Artillerie-Abteilung (Mot) 962 – Einsatzraum: Netherlands – 962 being a V2 Rocket Unit. HOWEVER, according to my research, 962 was cannibalized to provide troops to Abt 836 and Abt 485 BEFORE my grandfather arrived with 962, ie, he seems to have been posted to a unit after it was cannibalized. Nevertheless, a V2 Organisational Chart dated Dec 44 does show 962 with a dotted line to the V2 Divisional Headquarters, but I don't know how this fits in with what I’ve stated.

Deutsche Dienststelle indicates that my grandfather was with 962 until 23 Apr 45 when he was then promoted and posted to Heeres-Flak-Artillerie-Abteilung 3/17, but he never arrived because he was captured by the Americans and held in Hitzacker until 14 Jul 46 (over a year after the war ended)!??

All of the above is generalized information that I have been able to find through the internet, but I would really appreciate any further detailed information so that I can better understand/trace exactly where my grandfather served and why the Americans held him for so long after the war had ended. TVM.

Have you checked Lexikon? If not this is what it has...

For Artillerie-Ersatz-Abteilung 271 check this menu...

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...Gliederung.htm

For Art Rgt 962 check this menu...

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...Gliederung.htm

Comment

Thanks, the Lexikon is a very good source of information (I have trouble navigating around it). However, I'm hoping that somebody might have more specific or detailed information not in the lexikon. In particular, if my grandfather was posted to 962 - after it was cannibalised - why does his records show 962 when it, in theory, should have shown Abt 485?

In addition:

1. My grandfather was promoted/posted/captured on 23 Apr 45. Was that when Abt 485 was overrun/disbanded, or was he simply promoted and posted?

2. My grandfather was captured by the Americans and supposedly held at Hitzacker. But, Hitzacker was in what became East Germany and was handed to the Russians within weeks.

3. My grandfather was held until 14 Jul 46. Why so long after the war had ended?

So many questions ...

Comment

I think in the case of Question 3, it was probably down to the process of having to screen such a massive amount of prisoners to see if any were on wanted lists, Nazi party members/members of illegal organisations (i.e. SS) etc, or he may of been used for labour work by the American authorities. And if he was involved with the V2's the American's may well of wanted to know what role he had and what information he could give them about V2 procedures etc. There could be many reasons.

Comment

Hello

Following your Developments with interest. Lexikon can be a bit tricky at times. Are you saying your Gran dad was held buy the Russians? If so getting his Freedom in 1946 is Early! Many were not released by the Russians until mid 1950's

Comment

As Justin says, July '46 is early, even for the Western Allies it's far from late.

Don't take the info coming from the Dienstelle as being set in concrete. By that i mean there can often be discrepencies and time lag in what was reported back up the line with regard to a soldier's postings and promotions. Also, don't expect clear information to be available for the late war period, unless you're lucky and it survives for the V weapon branch of the artillery.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks again ... looking at my grandfathers earlier war record, but still having trouble finding the correct link in the lexikon: Heer, Fliegerabwehr-Batallion(s). Help with a link?

Comment

If you're looking for Heeres Flak units, look under Heeres Flakartillerie

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...Artillerie.htm
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

If you want, scan the letter from the Deutsches Dienststelle, send it to me via email (PM me if you want to do this!) and I will post it in this thread.

Of course, then we can help you fully with his other units and info etc.

One thing with the info, it is usually snippets of info ie. what unit he was with when he was promoted, or injured etc. not necessarily a complete time line as Simon pointed out!

/Ian
                  Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X