Oberstleutnant Dr. Ernst Kupfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oberstleutnant Dr. Ernst Kupfer

I am writing a biography on Ernst Kupfer. I would appreciate any information or photos of him during his career. He started his career as a Ritmeister in the 17th Bavarian Cavalry Regiment the "Bamberger Reiter". He received a law degree from the Universities of Heidelberg and Erlangen. He transfered to the Luftwaffe in 1939. He spent nearly all of his Luftwaffe career with St.G.2 "Immelmann" rising to Kommandeur and eventually Kommodore. HIs first combat missions were in the Balkans, Greece, Crete, and over Kronstadt in support of Heersgruppe Nord. He ws serious injured in a crash landing and required 6 months to recover. When he returned he flew missions over Stalingrad, the Kuban, and Kursk (Operation Citadel). In the battle over the Orel salient he led Kampfverbund "Kupfer" that defeated the Russian tank breakthrough. In September 1943 he was appointed General der Schlachtflieger and was placed in charge of all ground attack aircraft on the Russian front. Less than 2 months later he was killed in a He-111 crash while returning to Berlin from an inspection tour to Greece. He was the recipient of the RK with Oak Leaf and Swords.

May be of assistance ....

Hi Ed,
    Good to hear that someone is working on a material on an interesting man like Kupfer. How big do you think your material will be - article or book size?
    I may be of some assistance as I am collecting information and photos about the Schlachtfliegers myself.

Drop me a private message, and we can take it was there.

Cheers
    Morten

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X