Lakeside Trader - 2nd Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officer's name on tailor's label - can anyone read it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer's name on tailor's label - can anyone read it?

Hello Gentlemen,
    I have just picked up a piped field tunic to an officer in Gebirgsjager Regiment 137. The name appears to be Ritter von Hoch, but I am not sure on the last name if the first letter is indeed an 'H'? Does anyone have a good idea of the German script? I looked up the name Hoch in my 1939 Rangliste and did not find that name listed, so if anyone has any other sources with this name, I would love to see it.
    Thank you and best wishes,
    Curtiss
    Attached Files

..and, the tunic itself
    Attached Files

Comment

a shoulderstrap with the 137 cypher
      Attached Files

Comment

'von Hoch' it is. This is one of the most legible labels I've seen! Or it could be 'von Hoeh', as both 'c' and 'e' may be written in this form.
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

name

If you compare von Hindenburg's signature "H" with this you'll find them to be the same fancy style. It couldn't be any neater.

Comment

Hello Erich and Pauke,
            Thank you both for your helpful comments. I tend to agree with you, but I was just wondering if that 'H' could have been a 'J' as it looks similar to the 'J' in the Juni date on the tailors label too. Although, I think you both are probably correct.
            Thank you again,
            Curtiss

Comment

It is definitely "Ritter von Hoch" , a German or Austrian noble title.

Gerdan

Comment

As you thought his full last name is Ritter von Hoch.

There is a DKiG winner of the same name (Helmut) as a Cpt. in GR 987. Some GJ officers did transfer to regular infantry units. It might be worth hiring someone to get his records to check it out. Nice clean tunic, does not look like it was worn much.

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
                  Thank you all for your kind assistance. I guess I will need to track down this DKiG winner from GR987 and see if this is my guy. Does anyone here have access to more detailed information concerning this DKiG winner? Another avenue might be to see if someone has a listing of officers serving with GJR137 early in the war, maybe something like a tagesbuch? I have the 1939 Rangliste and I do not see him listed there.
                  Thank you and best wishes,
                  Curtiss
                  nonameno@aol.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X