What is this unit abbreviation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this unit abbreviation?

I'm hoping that someone can help me out here.

There are entries in a 1942 Wehrpass that indicates that the soldier seemed to haved spent all of his service time (1942-1943, when the entries end ) in " 3 Flg. Aus. Reg. 61 Nr. 2181".

This sound like it would be a Luftwaffe flight training regiment.
    Can anyone confirm this? Is 2181 the Feldpost number?

There is also an entry that as I recall, reads "als Fallschirmshutzen tauglich", which I think means he was qualified to go through paratrooper training? However, there is no award of a paratrooper badge recorded in the Wehrpass.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

Is this entry on page 12?

"3 Flg. Aus. Reg. 61 Nr. 2181". If so then it would be 3 Kompanie, Flieger Ausbildung Regiment 61. The Nr. 2181 should be in the right column Stammrollen Nr which is his personal number within the unit.

This unit is a basic training for Luftwaffe members...not aircrew etc.

"als Fallschirmshutzen tauglich" indicates that he is fit enough to be selected for the para course but no indication that he did attempt it! His units would verify that.....Also many passed the fitness exam for para but never went on to do the training....

Hope that help?

/Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Tauglich

Hi,

The "tauglich" reference simply indicates that he was considered suitable to do the training for the given arm of service.

Lots of airmen were classified as fit for aircrew or parachute duties, but many of them ended up doing far more mundane things like working in signals, construction or logistics.

Some Luftwaffe Wehrpässe have a sheet pasted into them with a series of check boxes or lines to be marked or deleted appropriately according to the results of their medicals and other aptitude examinations.

I can't help you with the possible Feldpost number, but it seems a bit short to me. Ian will probably know.

/David

Comment

Brilliant timing

Ian replied while I was hacking away at the keyboard.

There you go.

/David

Comment

Once again, this Forum proves amazing!

Following the training unit entries there are entries for "N.J.G. II", and "8./L.N.-Regt. II".

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
          Last edited by Bill D.; 07-21-2003, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Was the above unit his last one also?

No entries on other pages?

What was his name, DoB etc.... you never know he could have transferred to a front line unit and was killed and they never updated his records....
            Or
            Maybe he was killed in an air raid or non combat related accident
            Or
            It was simply never kept up to date.......
            Or finally
            He left the Luftwaffe for a quite life!?!?!?!

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Ian...

Thanks for your post!

However, I made a mistake. In my last post I said that he never left the training unit. You were kind enough to reply to this just as I realized that I was wrong, and I edited my post to reflect that he did serve in other units. Signals, I'm guessing?

Comment

Hi Bill,

"N.J.G. II" - Nachtjagdgeschwader II (2?)....II would normally indicate II Gruppe, however I have one in this manner also and the guy was a member of of NJG 2.

"8./L.N.-Regt. II". - 8 Kompanie, Luft Nachrichten Regiment II......see above re: II...so this is probably also 2.

Second is definatley a Signals unit, first is a night fighter unit so he was maybe ground signals attached!

/Ian

Comment

Ian...

Thanks so much!

Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X