Waffen SS units operating in East Normandy area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen SS units operating in East Normandy area

I am looking for info on Waffen SS units operating in the general area between La Haye Du Puits and Ste. Mre. Eglise during the Battle of Normandy. I am trying to get as much information as possible on an individual by the name of Gottfried Wagner, b. Nov. 24, 1926, KIA late June or early July 1944. Last entry in his Wehrpass regarding his unit references the 8th SS Kav. Div., but I assume that is not up to date. Last dated entry in the Wehrpass was his promotion to Stummann June 20, 1944.

Wehrpass indicates Titel, Hungary as his hometown.

The wehrpass was taken from his body by a member of the 82nd Airborne division, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment. According to the S-2 Journal from Headquarters Company of the 508th, this division operated in the area mentioned above until ordered to Division Reserve on July 7, 1944.

Thanks in Advance for any information!

George

Hello George,

Almost certainly Sturmmann Wagner was a member of the 17th SS Panzer-Grenadier Division "Gotz von Berlichingen". This division was formed in France in 1943 - perhaps he was cadre? In any case, this division saw early fighting against US forces in the area of Carentin - taking about 1000 casualties in June with further serious losses in early July.

What branch of service did Wagner belong to?

Hope this helps!

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X