Unusual request- Help IDing Crest and initials on spoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual request- Help IDing Crest and initials on spoon

Can anyone here ID the crest on this spoon or at least give me an idea as to its meaning? How about the initials H.K.v.G and the date 3.12.1938 inscribed on the reverse? What is the significance behind this inscription? I know this is quite an unusual request but I don't know where else to begin looking.
    -Chuck
    Attached Files

A close-up of the crest
    Attached Files

Comment

and the markings on the reverse. Note the silver markings as well as the initials H.K.v.G and date 3.12.1938. Could this spoon been part of some silverware given as a wedding gift on December 3, 1938?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi para03:
        the oly hint I can give ist that "v.G." should be the initials of a German noble family (Adelsfamilie).

"v" means "von" (of) and "G." should be the initial letter of the family name.

"H.K." are the the first letters of the two first names.

It was often a tradition to mark the family silver with the initials or the coat of arms.
        Could the symbol be a propeller of an aircraft?

Gerdan

Comment

Gerdan,
          Thank you for your input. I was thinking the crest showed three horns but maybe they are propellers...

Comment

Perhaps the date is a date of birth? So family crest, child's initials and it's date of birth? Would seem possible as it's a silver spoon.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
              Perhaps the date is a date of birth? So family crest, child's initials and it's date of birth? Would seem possible as it's a silver spoon.
              Simon,
              Another good possibility that I hadn't thought of. I guess there's just no way of knowing for sure. Too many variables. Any way of tracing the crest to a particular family?

Comment

The design on the spoon's handle is that of 3 drinking horns arranged in the shape of a trifot. Drinking horns are normally associated with festivals & celebrations and (particularly in Teutonic cultures) family loyalties...so it could possibly be some form of 'christening' spoon.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X