Hungarian Generals help wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hungarian Generals help wanted...

Can someone provide me with a list of all the Hungarian generals that served in WW2?

Or Hungarian generals that fought in the German army?

I'am searching for one man in specifiqly Herr Von 'Balou' (balou maybe wrotten diffrently... cause I don't know how it's written).

Help would be very much appreciated...

Hi Nick,
    I forwarded your question to a friend of mine, who is a leading expert on Hungarian military history...here's what he said...

"I do have books which include lists of Hungarian Generals, but I don't know of any that are available electronically or on the internet. My books are also rather hard to find and written in Hungarian.

There aren't any Generals with names even remotely close to Balou. Also, Hungarians would not have used the prefix von, either. If a noble Hungarian name is translated to German, the von would be in front of the second part of their family name which refers to their family's land - ie: (General) vitéz kisbarnaki Farkas Ferenc would be Ferenc vitéz Farkas von kisbarnak in German. Your friend may have also mistaken the small v. (vitéz) for von."

So...can you get any more info that could provide a lead?

Cheers,
    Arran.

Comment

He would have been a commander of a Panzer unit.

His name and the above info are the only leads I have...

Thx for the help so far 'Arran'...
      Last edited by Nick_since_1985; 10-25-2006, 02:43 PM.

Comment

maybe he was not a general but yust a commander, he recieved the Hungarian officer's cross, Order of the German Eagle 5th class and again the 3rd maybe 2nd class version...

See thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=184422

Comment

Hi Nick!

Sorry that I can't help you specifically, but the surname you're looking for could be Balogh. There was a Lt. Field-Marshal (Lt. General) Sandor vitez Balogh in the Hungarian Army, but unfortunately that is the sum total of my knowledge about him.

Source: The Royal Hungarian Armed Forces 1919 - 1945 by Andris J. Kursietis

Regards,

Comment

Hi Kursietis

Thx for the input, I also found the name Balogh today, in a list of Hungarian Generals.

But it was the only thing I found was maybe his name is 'Balogh' instead of 'Balou'. I didn't find any other information reagarding this person, so Idientifying will be tricky...

To other members, If you have any other information about General 'Balogh' plz let me know... (pictures, info, deployment,...)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X