Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal research: help needed, please

Hi all of you

I´m very impressed about the amount of information that is around here. That´s why I´ve decided to ask you a very personal matter (sorry, no related with collectors).

My grandfather fought in the IIWW. I´d like to know more details about him, but the fact is I know NOTHING. My father and my grandmother died some years ago, and my mother never asked them about this. My german family never told us anything about him. So I´m in the dark.

I know this secrecy sounds strange, but it´s like I´ve told you. Only heard one time that he died after the war. But no more details (nor the name).

The surname is Ganskopf. But there is the possibility that during the war it was other (changed to the one I told you after the war?). Maybe Ganskovky, or something like that.

Well, now you know the same as me about my grandfather. Probably you won´t find anything, as there can be no records regarding him. Maybe, my last chance is going some day to Germany and looking at war files.

Thanks in advance

Re Grandfather

Hi Rob, sounds like a real mystery. Do you have any artifacts at all? Letters, war photos, a postcard with a Feldpost number. I notice that you're located in Spain. Maybe he was in the Condor legion. Any idea of his rank? Did anyone inherit any personal papers? Good luck on your search. Cheers and Servus Chris B.

Comment

The fact is that I´m doing this "research" at my own risk. My german family (my grandfather was german, not spanish) never talk about this "affair", so I don´t have any documents or pictures.

I only want to know who was him; I´m not here to judge what he could do.

Regards

Comment

re Grandfather

Hi Rob. Another night, another Post. So tell me, was your father German or your mother? Did your parents emigrate to Spain? You know, unless your grandfather was a Parteibonze, with the Einsatzkommandos in the East, or an executioner in a KZ, I don't know why your parents would be reluctant to discuss him with you.But I'll tell you, those post-war Germans are a strange bunch. 60 years of collective guilt have turned them into people who hate themselves, who indulge in self -flagellation and self loathing like no other people on earth. I'm starting to think that the only German patriots live im Ausland. Get your family involved with this forum. I know there are people out there who have a vested interest in making the Germans look as bad as possible for as long as possible, but you know what? It's OK to have a German Background. One of my uncles won the EK1, Sturmabzeichen, Krimschild and Ostmedaille, and was KIA trying to keep the Red Army out of East Prussia in the spring of '45 and not only do I respect his memory and his sacrifice but I still like myself. Now obviously I can't look inside your Families' hearts; they could well have compelling reasons for their silence , and it might very well be rude and inconsiderate of me to spout off like this, but I think its a good thing you're trying to do and I wish you
        success. Cheers and Servus Chris B.

Comment

My father was german (he died when I was 8), and my mother is spanish. So I didn´t have the opportunity to ask my father about this, and my mother doesn´t know anything. I have little contact with my german family; however, they´ve never talked about this with other members of the family.

I know what you´re talking about. I´m german, and I feel proud of it. But some people think we´re still responsible of the killing of innocents. It´s something you have to live with.

Maybe my last chance is going to Germany and trying to find something in the archives. Only hope finding something one day.

Good talking to you, Chris.

Best Regards

Comment

re search

Hello Rob. You're right about having to learn to live with things. In the end all of us are prisoners of our history, good and bad. One last thing occurs to me. There is a German organization called Wast, or something like that. They are a sort of German Military war graves registry perhaps affiliated with the german red cross. They dealt with MIAs, KIAs, as well as missing and transported people after the war. Maybe another forum member has info about this Org. It was nice talking to you too and I'm sure I'll run into you on this forum again. Cheers and Servus Chris B.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X