Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need info on a Luftwaffe RK-receipiant

Dear all,

Since I do not have the books to look this up and a good site on the web is no more, could you please supply me with as much info as you have on a Luftwaffe receipiant named "Hofsäss", must have been a recon pilot. And a good pic of him would be the killer!

Thanks much!

Cheers, Frank
    Cheers, Frank

Hi Frank
    Not a lot of info but here is what I have :
    HOFSÄSS RICHARD
    EK1 : ?
    DKiG : ?
    RK : 09/01/1945 as Hptm. 1/N.A.G. 12
    sorry no photo of him
    Regards
    Denis

Comment

Thanks much, Denis!

It isn´t much but better than nothing, maybe somebody has more from other sources?

Cheers, Frank
      Cheers, Frank

Comment

Richard Hofsäss presumably survived the war, since there was no service related death date listed for him in the Knight's Cross recipients' list. Although a Hauptmann on getting the KC in January 1945, I don't find him (indexed anyway) in the February 1945 flying officers' Hauptleute up seniority list.

He got the German Cross in Gold 20 March 1944 as "Beobachter in einer Aufklärungsgruppe, and his Ehrenpokal as Oberleutnant but "Flugzeugführer" 11 October 1943.

Comment

Hello:
          as R. Lundstrom correctly mentioned, this officer survived the war.
          I show a date of death as 10.Apr. 1999 (in his 85th year) in my listing.
          The reference book on Knightscross recipients who served in the Bundeswehr does not include him.
          Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Thank you all!
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hofsäss

Richard Hofsäss was born on 4 February 1914. Before the war he served with 1./A.R.71,based at Heilbronn.He was Staffelkapitän 1./Nahaufkl.Gr.2.He was awarded the EKII on 20 June 1940 (with the rank of Wachtmeister d.R.),the Abzeichen für Flugzeugführer und Flugzeugbeobachter on 24 February 1943 (Nr.117972/43) and the Frontflugspange für Aufklarer in Gold mit Anhänger on 22 April 1944.The actual award date of the DKG was 12 December 1943 and the Ehrenpokal was 2 October 1943.He died on 10 April 1999 in Germering/Bayern.
              Hope this helps a bit more
              Mike Young

Comment

Dear Mike,

Thank you, excellent!

I have some conflicting dates with the stuff I gathered so far:

My notes: DKiG March 20th, 1944
                Your source: DKiG December 12th 1943

My notes: Honour Goblet: October 11th, 1943
                Your source: Honour Goblet: October 2nd, 1943

Can you please name me your source since what you have sounds quite complete (EK1?). And most important: Do you have a picture?

Cheers, Frank
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

Sources

Hello Frank,
                  The information about the DKG comes from the book 'Die Träger Des Deutschen Kreuzes in Gold der Luftwaffe 1941-45' by Veit Scherzer (Published by Verlag Heinz Nickel,ISBN 3925480102). The other dates that you have for these awards are more likely to be the dates that the awards were listed in the Luftwaffen-Verordnungsblatt rather than the actual dates of the awards from their award documents.
                  Hope this helps
                  Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Is that book still in print?

Regards,

Rick

Comment

Hello
                      To Rick W : Yes it is still in print. Names are sorted by both alphabetical order and by unit. As Mike said, some dates are not accurate and sometimes, just the publication date of the verordnungsblatt notifying the bestowal of the DK is provided.
                      Since this book, Veit Scherzer has written another book in collaboration with Klaus D. Patzwall which covers ALL DKiG recipients. This last one is quite expensive (between 75 EUR and 120 EUR) but it's the first time that all recipients are listed in one single book.
                      To Mike Young : I would really like to know where you found all the other info regarding Hofsäss, especially his EK2/EK1 dates as well as his Pilot award number. Could it be in Obermaier's books ?
                      To Rick Lundström : Rick, you gave a 1944 date for his DKiG : what is your source ?
                      Regards
                      Denis

Comment

Sources

hello,
                        Regarding the dates of the awards If I remember correctly I got them quite some time ago from a militaria site which offered them for sale (the three sites I use the most being Detlev,Nordheide and Helmut Weitze) sorry that I can't be anymore specific at the moment.
                        Mike

Comment

Hi Frank,

So, do you have something NEW in your collection or are you just doing some research?

Thanks for the info Denis.

Regards,

Rick

Comment

Dear Rick,

Yes, I have recently acquired Hofsäss´ P/O badge. It came with a small, signed photograph of him. Besides the now gained data, I would love to see more pictures of him!
                            The P/O badge came with an expertise from Detlev Niemann that also covers his DKiG besides the P/O, but the DKiG was not part of the lot offered to me anymore!

Cheers, Frank
                            Cheers, Frank

Comment

rev
                              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X