griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DAK Soldier; POW in Canada, Buried in Libya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAK Soldier; POW in Canada, Buried in Libya?

I came across a death card for an Afrika Korps soldier who, according to the card, died in a POW camp in Canada in 1942. All German POWs who died in Canada are buried together in a cemetery in Kitchener, Ontario. This soldier isn't there. However, both the German War Graves Commission and findagrave.com say that he's buried in the German cemetery at Tobruk. But the death card, which I'm looking at right now, clearly says he died in a POW camp in Canada. Does anyone have any idea of what might account for the discrepancy?

Does the DOB info also match up in both cases? An odd one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon H View Post
      Does the DOB info also match up in both cases? An odd one for sure.
      Yes, both entries on the the German War Graves Commission and findagrave.com confirm his dates of birth and death, and he's undoubtedly buried at Tobruk. The GWGC states that he went missing many months before he was declared dead. But his death card says he died in a POW camp in Canada. I was going to buy it because of the local connection, but I don't know what to make of it now.
      Last edited by TheMadBaron; 06-29-2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Is it possible that the family was just misinformed? You said that the date of birth matches. Are there dates of death on both of them? Maybe if he was missing for so many months they incorrectly assumed he'd been captured?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiking44 View Post
          Is it possible that the family was just misinformed? You said that the date of birth matches. Are there dates of death on both of them? Maybe if he was missing for so many months they incorrectly assumed he'd been captured?
          Hi,

Yes, I'm thinking perhaps his family was mis-informed.

Here's the image of the death card, courtesy of Giel's Militaria:

The German War Graves Commission says he was KIA or MIA on November 23rd, 1941, but that he's buried at Tobruk.

But his findagrave.com entry confirms the date of death listed on the death card: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...lois-linzmaier

Comment

Or is it possible the death card is a fake ? often they are...

Comment

Here is his death registration on file at the WASt. He died from being shot in the lungs and it corroborates the burial info on volksbund.de and FaG.com. Doesn't appear he ever saw a POW camp in Canada. As a collector of Sterbebilder myself I hate situations like this. I hope this helps.

vr

Bob
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
                Here is his death registration on file at the WASt. He died from being shot in the lungs and it corroborates the burial info on volksbund.de and FaG.com. Doesn't appear he ever saw a POW camp in Canada. As a collector of Sterbebilder myself I hate situations like this. I hope this helps.

vr

Bob
                Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. Well that certainly clears up his story. I guess we’ll never know why his family was mistaken about his fate, but such is the hobby.

Cheers,

Will

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X