Blockade Runner Badge for Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blockade Runner Badge for Review

OK guys, once again, this badge is outside my normal collecting scope. As such, I welcome your thoughts. Thanks in advance--
    Frank
    Attached Files

Reverse:
    Attached Files

Comment

Last one...
      Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Images are not very good but IMO it has a chance to be original zinc Schwerin BR badge that had very hard times. Heavily worn, refinished on both sides in the past, the catch was replaced and in this process the makers mark was filed.
          Cheers,
          Hubert

Comment

Here is a period example to compare. John
            Attached Files

Comment

If reverse hinge, pin and catch (catch plate in this case) match a period example, it is period.

If reverse hinge, pin and catch do not match, it might still be period.

Interesting badge in the respect that once again, before you make a hasty judgement call, you need to do a side by side comparison unless you have a great eye for these.

I helped write the book on KM badges so to speak and unless I am 100% sure, I still do my homework and take the extra step of comparing with originals.

You simply cannot make a quick call due to the problems with fakes, repairs to originals (which can be extensive and might include hinge, pin and catch), etc, etc. Even now, mentally I make judgement calls on posted badges without checking and I bet 30% of the time I turn out to be wrong after Bubba and Norm look it over.

Out and out originals are normally pretty easy with SB badges and some others, but unmarked examples of all badges means you need to take your time. Fortunately, we have Norm.

John

Comment

John and Hubert- Thanks for your time and observations! I will try to make some better pictures and see what you guys think with that. After looking at my pics, I was disappointed too. Any suggestions on taking the photos?? Thanks!! Frank

Comment

I think your photos are fine.

Normally, use camera, flash off, macro on, natural light but direct sun blocked, steady platform or tripod.

John

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                    Images are not very good but IMO it has a chance to be original zinc Schwerin BR badge that had very hard times. Heavily worn, refinished on both sides in the past, the catch was replaced and in this process the makers mark was filed.
                    Cheers,
                    Hubert
                    Fully agree here.
                    Kind regards,
                    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Value?

John, Giehl and Hubert- thanks for your input and honest evaluation of the badge. As I said, Kriegsmarine is not my area of collecting. This badge and several other KM badges came together. Can you tell me what a FAIR price for this piece would be? Thanks to all in Advance!!
                      Frank

Comment

I really have no idea. Wish I could help, but all you can do is check internet sites and go from there with a price range.

John

Comment

Well, IMO it is worth almost nothing in such bad condition (worn, refinished, replaced catch, resoldered hinge) unless you find somebody to see something attractive in it. I can see a sailor name scratched on the reverse so maybe?
                          Cheers,
                          Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X