No announcement yet.

Schwerin HSF for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WellI have tons of business sensibilities and if I were in your shoes Eric I would just fit this badge with main pin from destroyed Schwerin minesweeper, even a zincer. The hinge pin looks ok. That would make it look much better!
    Cheers,
    Hubert

Comment

And the result would be:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John R.; 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

OK, it sold for a fair price. The buyer can now take the advice of Hubert and try to find a beat up Schwerin MS for lets say $100 and use that pin on the HSF badge and now have a complete example. He might even be able to sell the MS badge for $50 without the pin I guess.

Are there any $100 MS examples out there?

John

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
          WellI have tons of business sensibilities and if I were in your shoes Eric I would just fit this badge with main pin from destroyed Schwerin minesweeper, even a zincer. The hinge pin looks ok. That would make it look much better!
          Cheers,
          Hubert
          Hi Hubert,
          As it was simply a display piece for the case I was never overly troubled by the missing pin.
          The sale price was 175 shipped.
          Thanks to everyone for the humor here, the used car salesman meme is especially amusing.
          Eric

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
            Doc Norm Martin:
            That's actually one of my favourite shows.

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
              Thanks to everyone for the humor here, the used car salesman meme is especially amusing.
              Eric
              Well, go to SOS or MAX and you will see there is a lot of truth to the humor.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                That's actually one of my favourite shows.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                What you really wanted to say to me Norm:
                Attached Files

Comment

What you really wanted to say to me Norm:
                  This is what comes from binge-watching BBC. And you're not the least bit platitudinous, John.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

I just want to thank Eric since he is one of those few sellers, or so it seems, that keeps his sense of humor and takes our well meaning, even if unwelcome opinions at times, in stride.

My advice to Norm when he joined the forum and then became a mod, eclipsing my knowledge base by leaps and bounds as we all know by now, was to never offer a valuation as I stated above.

While it did not seem to matter too much when I was not a mod, Mike Kenny was the mod then along with Lorenzo, when I did take over from Mike and Lorenzo and offered valuations on badges say from 1-5 on a 10 point scale, the sellers would send me venomous PM's about my parentage, education, and overall worthiness to suck in this fine planet's air (I note it is warming by the way, especially in the summer).

So I just did not need the grief. I never could understand why a badge worth $100 or $300 meant that much to a seller but it did, so I tried to impart this warning to Norm, but he is made of tougher stuff than myself as I have learned over the years. Maybe it is because he has daughters.

I think we do have different people these days on the forum asking about prices, valuations, etc, than the ones who used to frequent these threads 15 years ago and were trying to unload some relic Grandfather brought home "taken off the body of a dead German." Somehow I just did not believe there were a lot of German bodies lying around in 1947 in the port of Kiel, but what do I know, I was not there.

I also admit I would never have thought about getting a MS badge and simply exchanging the pins like Hubert recommended. It was a good idea and probably the best way to have found that MS badge would have been to post right here and ask if anybody has one for sale. My guess, somebody would have just sent you one.

It really does work that way in this part of the hobby of naval artifacts.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                      This is what comes from binge-watching BBC. And you're not the least bit platitudinous, John.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Hmmmm. You are quite careful about your choice of words Norm. So I take it you DO think I am a eunuch.

John

Comment

I just want to thank Eric since he is one of those few sellers, or so it seems, that keeps his sense of humor and takes our well meaning, even if unwelcome opinions at times, in stride.

My advice to Norm when he joined the forum and then became a mod, eclipsing my knowledge base by leaps and bounds as we all know by now, was to never offer a valuation as I stated above.

While it did not seem to matter too much when I was not a mod, Mike Kenny was the mod then along with Lorenzo, when I did take over from Mike and Lorenzo and offered valuations on badges say from 1-5 on a 10 point scale, the sellers would send me venomous PM's about my parentage, education, and overall worthiness to suck in this fine planet's air (I note it is warming by the way, especially in the summer).

So I just did not need the grief. I never could understand why a badge worth $100 or $300 meant that much to a seller but it did, so I tried to impart this warning to Norm, but he is made of tougher stuff than myself as I have learned over the years. Maybe it is because he has daughters.

I think we do have different people these days on the forum asking about prices, valuations, etc, than the ones who used to frequent these threads 15 years ago and were trying to unload some relic Grandfather brought home "taken off the body of a dead German." Somehow I just did not believe there were a lot of German bodies lying around in 1947 in the port of Kiel, but what do I know, I was not there.

I also admit I would never have thought about getting a MS badge and simply exchanging the pins like Hubert recommended. It was a good idea and probably the best way to have found that MS badge would have been to post right here and ask if anybody has one for sale. My guess, somebody would have just sent you one.

It really does work that way in this part of the hobby of naval artifacts.

John
                        Thank you for those kind words John, there is nothing that irks me more than scrolling through the estand, seeing an item that I either want or am interested in to then discover a full retail (or higher in one notable seller's listings) price. I try to price things fairly and with regard to real selling trends on this forum, plus, since I have gotten some good deals here, it's nice to pay that forward a bit as well.
                        Humor is needed when dealing with these pieces for sure lest one become addled and miserly.
                        The truth can sting, set you free or simply *&^% you off but we choose how we react to it.
                        I hate asking for values as that seems lazy to me yet often, that is the only way when one hasn't sold an item since 2014. The selling trends are simple, prices are down on the common items with a lot of collectors dumping their items due to life changes or simply wanting to realize a good price for their heirs before they pass.
                        Basically, this hobby has been good to me so when I can give a member here a good deal I do get some satisfaction from that interaction,
                        Cheers,
                        Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X