No announcement yet.

Classification of Auxiliary Cruiser Badges based on obverse design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superb work Norm! Another great reference thread. I won't get my S&L's mixed up anymore thank you for your research.

Comment

You're the best Norm, great classification
      Kind regards,
      Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Perfect!

Comment

Excellent and outstanding.

Comment

Great detail work Norm!!
            Your work helped me reclassify what I thought was a post war to a war time made piece!! Thank you!
            Terrence

Comment

Addendum - The Auxiliary Cruiser Badge with Diamonds

As a postscript to this study, excluded from the classification table is the one and only known Auxiliary Cruiser Badge with Diamonds. This was a 2-piece badge awarded by Großadmiral Raeder to Kapitän zur See Bernhard Rogge in January, 1942, subsequently pictured in several reference texts (Klietmann, Patzwall, Nimmergut, Williamson) and supported by Rogge’s own testimony. Other claims of several examples of a Souval-like one-piece design being wartime are unsubstantiated and improbable based on current research.

Interestingly, the Rogge-attributed badge is the Type 2 design and looks very much like what you might expect a custom Juncker product to look like. The details shown in the attached comparison are taken from the colour photo attributed to Don Frailey from his visit to Rogge in the 1970’s and match Klietmann’s B&W 1950’s photo (later re-published by Nimmergut). The unique design features a seamlessly integrated diamond-studded swastika which is slightly larger than standard so that the obverse features of ship and globe are shifted lower in the badge. The globe can be seen to be the Juncker globe with the lower portion trimmed down to fit the smaller space. Just as the U-Boat with Diamonds was commissioned by Raeder from the KM’s premier supplier of U-Boat awards (i.e. Schwerin), it would seem logical for the Hilfskreuzer to be commissioned from the KM’s main supplier of Tombak Hilfskreuzer awards, i.e Juncker. For now, this is a just a theory but a logical one that fits the observations.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X