Opinions on this Destroyer badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this Destroyer badge?

Hello Everyone, I have another chance at a destroyer badge. This one looks good to me, but I would really like some more opinions. The pics are a little blurry, but they are the only ones I could get. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Andy B.
    Attached Files
    Collecting minis and KVKs

and the front
    Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion a fake.

I'm not keen on hinge and pin, and the hook......is that a 'dipped' area under the hook at the top.

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Hi Marcus, I'm not sure if thats a dipped area by the hook. These were the only pics I could get. I checked this one against others on the site, and it seems good, but then I'm still learning. Thanks for the help.

Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

Believe you me I'm a novice at these too

Here's what I'd expect it to look like.

Picture is of member Johan's badge (will remove if he should so wish)
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pic of the back. I think your right, the hinge looks a little crude and the lettering is not as sharp (compared to the one you've shown). I was getting real close to sending off some cash for it. I think I'll be waiting now. Thank you very much, I really appreciate the help.

Andy B.

Comment

In my opinion not ok. In addition to Marcus´ comments, the catch has a catchplate, so it pretends to be a zinc badge bit I think it is not made of zinc and the zink Schwerin destroyers use another hinge.
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Thanks Frank!!
                As always, your opinion is greatly appreciated (and carries alot of weight).
                Andy B.

Comment

Here is a typical Schwerin ZINC destroyer:
                  Attached Files
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hi Andy like you say not very good pics, would never advise anybody to buy based on those. Reverse set up looks convincing but not right. The blob under the forward turrent i believe was a gaveaway for these, and the anchor seems to lack detail. Sorry . All the best.

Comment

Hi Andy,

Bizar Destroyer to say the least. I really don't have a clue what I'm looking at. Somehow the badge looks believable but on the other hand it shows many features that aren't to be found on known originals.

Never seen an original like it but the fakes in my files don't match this badge either. Lets keep our eyes open and see if we encounter more of the same.

KR
                      Philippe

Comment

Not crazy about the overall shape of the eagle's head and neck on this badge from either the reverse or obverse. The MM looks a little weak as well (i.e. the detailing of the letters is not as crisp as one would expect).

Best Regards

Mike

Comment

Yea, I don't really know what to say on this one either. The wear looks totally believable and as Frank mentioned, the metal doesn't appear to be true zinc with all that verdigre on it. That tells me it's more of a tombak or brass base metal IMO.

The details are similar to Schwerin though. The eagle, mainstaff and flag appear to be correct. Try and match up the waves. The details are just too worn to be that accurate with these PICS though. Something interesting is the marks on the top hook. Look closely and you can see the indentations on both sides. I seen these before and they aren't plier marks. Agree the hinge and pin are not typical for what I have seen on these pieces. Perhaps a cast of an original badge. Look towards the eight o'clock position on the back and you can see some flaws in the metal.

Bottom line Andy, IMO, I would rather wait for a nicer textbook badge that you will enjoy looking at. These are rather common and if you can wait--wait. Here's one for comparison and notice the lettering on the maker's mark. Mine is a later tombak piece--has the flat rivet head. First ones had the cone shape, second had the flat with cross-hatching. Don't let that confuse you. Good luck!
                          Tim
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X