Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on F.O. U-Boat Badge

Hello
    This Badge was in my Collection and i sold it.

Now the Buyer wants to sell the Badge too , and there are now opinions
    that the Badge is not original or an unknown Version

I think the Badge is fine, what are you think about it ?

best wishes kfs
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
      This one is tricky to me.
      Judging from the reverse hardware and maker's mark location it doas not look like any of known variants but very close to type 1 FO u-boats. On the other hand it is hard to spot any red flags... we also know quite common but very good fakes looking very similiar but with inproper maker's mark, which could be improved? At the moment I lean to think it is good type 1 badge with 'o' stamp added and slightly different makers mark?
      Cheers,
      Hubert
      Last edited by BubbaZ; 01-14-2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I found such badge posted for opinion on other forum, if it is not the same badge then it's very bad sign.
        Cheers,
        Hubert
        Attached Files

Comment

more images
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Hubert , yes it is the same Badge

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
              we also know quite common but very good fakes looking very similiar but with inproper maker's mark, which could be improved?
              That's the fake I mean.
              Cheers,
              Hubert
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                Hi,
                This one is tricky to me.
                Judging from the reverse hardware and maker's mark location it doas not look like any of known variants but very close to type 1 FO u-boats. On the other hand it is hard to spot any red flags... we also know quite common but very good fakes looking very similiar but with inproper maker's mark, which could be improved? At the moment I lean to think it is good type 1 badge with 'o' stamp added and slightly different makers mark?
                Cheers,
                Hubert
                I agree with Hubert's assessment. This is a sub-variant of the "Type 1", or MC# 5.6.1. This subtype doesn't have its own classification number at this time but it's the "Type 1" maker mark in a different position from usual and with the addition of an "o" stamp like the "Type 2" variant (MC# 5.6.2) -- sort of a hybrid.

Here's another example of this type of variant position of the Type 1 maker mark -- Tom Janacek's badge I believe -- but Tom's doesn't have the "o" stamp (which is usually absent in the Type 1 but present in the Type 2 and Type 3.

I do think it's an original badge.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Norm F; 01-17-2016, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Looking closely at Tom's example, I wonder if there could be a slight ghost of partial "o" stamp there? Could be my imagination though. Perhaps Tom can chip in if he has his badge in hand.

If more examples of this variant show up then I would add it to the classification system.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X