Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat - Pin replaced

Hello,

Any opinions - was found here in Germany.

Looks like a replaced pin, most of the wash is gone, signs of wear.

Regards
    Attached Files

Sorry Chris, this is a classic "Cyclops fake". If you do a forum search on "cyclops" you'll see many examples.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

I have since looked in my book of where this has came from and I had it confused with another one I had found in the past - and it was bought from Phoenix Militaria last year at he Kassel show.
      Last edited by chris235; 01-07-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Hi Norm F,

Can you explain exactly as when I searched it they all look very different, none are the same as mines is. For example all the ones that came up under the fake name you mentioned have another eye and have cut out swasticas.

Regards

Comment

Hi Chris,

Well I guess rather than "classic Cyclops fake" I should have said "variant Cyclops fake". Here's another: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...88#post7180788

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

And another (reverse view only). This one was offered on Reddick Militaria for $20 but was mismatched with a different obverse view.
            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting, so one has came up in near mint condition. With what looks to be the same catch, but mines is cruddy attached compared to the variant fake.

I see the same dye flaw on the right wing as this one also...

Comment

Thanks for the info! Certainly interesting!

Comment

Known 'puffy eye' fake
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

And another. This one's for sale on The Treasure Bunker for £ 16.00.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chris235 View Post
                      Hi Norm F,

Can you explain exactly as when I searched it they all look very different, none are the same as mines is. For example all the ones that came up under the fake name you mentioned have another eye and have cut out swasticas.

Regards
                      Chris,

There is no question this is a fake but the method you are using to establish authenticity is open ended. What I mean is that there is a huge universe of fakes for every badge, especially Schwerin badges, so what I would advise is for you to concentrate on what a period badge looks like from the reference threads here and if the badge you are considering buying does not conform with one of those examples, it should not be purchased.

While we are very fortunate to have Norm and Hubert to help us navigate the fake minefield, if they leave the hobby a collector is not suddenly lost without their advice. The information is here for what a period badge should look like and if it is not one of those, it is a fake to a 99.8% probability I think.

I have seen collectors at shows using their notepads and other electronic devices where they have downloaded all the photos of each combat badge. So, even though they are not expert in each badge, they simply bring up on their screens what it should look like. I have seen very good deals made by these types of collectors using such devices.

So do not worry too much about fakes, concentrate on established (accepted) badges instead and you will have no issues in the future.

John

Comment

Thanks for the advise, and your right I should focus on existing real badges...

Thanks its much appreciated a first class answer as always on here...

Regards

Comment

Chris,

If you become a badge scientist like Norm and Hubert, then you see thousands of badges, period and fakes, and can spot them quickly.

Since I am only a lab tech, I stick with originals.

.........or call Norm.

John

Comment

yet another fake of this kind on recent Weitze update...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X