U-Boat Meissen Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat Meissen Plates

These plates were given to U-Boat captains who had been awarded the RK, by the WWI U-Boat Veterans Association. One was also given to Admiral Bauer for his work in U-Boat deployment tactics.

It has been estimated that 91 were produced, although approximately 10 were never issued as the recipients had perished. Meissen sold these 10 plates to a German dealer in the early 2000's.

John Robinson has suggested I start a thread on these plates to find out just how many are in collectors hands.

So, if you own one of these plates or see one for sale, please post a photo or otherwise just provide the name of the recipient.

Many thanks.

Stan

Kapitänleutnant Peter Erich CREMER ("Ali Cremer). Captain U-333.

Died Hamburg 05.07.1992.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 04-20-2019, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Kapitänleutnant Hans-Hartwig TROJER. Captain U-221.

KIA 27.09.1943 N. Atlantic.
      Attached Files

Comment

Or if any exist in a museum.

John

Comment

Here is one:

"Karl-Friedrich Merten - a Meissen honour plate, from the U-boat Traditions Association on his award of the Knight's Cross on 13 June 1942 White, glazed porcelain with blue decoration. In the centre a depiction of a U-boat above a yellow-gold name inscription "Herrn Korvettenkapitän Merten", surrounded by a laurel wreath with the order Pour-le-mérite on top, the U-boat War Badges 1918 and 1939 on the sides, and a Knight's Cross with Oak leaves at the bottom. Meissen crossed swords mark in underglaze blue, press number "N117" and "159" on the back. Diameter 25.5"
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Norm F; 04-20-2019, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Couple more:

"Kapitänleutnant Erich Karl Ferdinand Würdemann - a Meissen presentation plate, from the U-Boat Traditions Group on the award of his Knight's Cross, 14 March 1943. White glazed porcelain with blue décor, showing the Order Pour le mérite, the U-Boat War Badges 1918 and 1939, and a Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves on a laurel wreath. In the centre a picture of a U-Boat with a golden yellow dedication underneath. On the bottom the Meissen sword mark as well as the number "135". Diameter 25.5 cm."

"Kapitänleutnant Ulrich Folkers - a Meissen honour plate, from the U-Boat Traditions Association on his award of the Knight's Cross on 16 January 1943 White glazed porcelain with blue decoration. In the centre depiction of a U-boat above a yellow-gold name inscription, surrounded by a laurel wreath with the Pour-le-Mérite order on top, the U-boat War Badges 1918 and 1939 on the sides, and a Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves at the bottom. The Meissen sword mark in underglaze blue and press numbers "N117"and "152" are on the back. Diameter 25.5 cm."
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Norm F; 04-20-2019, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Another
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

John, could you tell me where you got the photo of the plate for K-F Merten? Last I saw it, it was on his office wall.

It was my understanding that you received the plate if you were an oakleaves holder (as depicted on the plate).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kondor View Post
                    John, could you tell me where you got the photo of the plate for K-F Merten? Last I saw it, it was on his office wall.

It was my understanding that you received the plate if you were an oakleaves holder (as depicted on the plate).
                    From the internet:

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-kar...-51533329.html

Comment

The recipients had been awarded the RK, not the oakleaves.

Stan

Comment

Thanks for the link John.

Comment

Posted on WAF by collector Mike Everett:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=meissen
                          Attached Files

Comment

We have eight right now.

My opinion is that few of the originally given out 81 plates survived the war--or survived the next 70 years. How many fell off walls during the war and broke, or broke in transit someplace? Not like a badge that could be mishandled, a Meissen plate would be too delicate to tolerate much abuse.

It would be interesting to know how many of these so far were from the 10 sold by Meissen to the dealer around 2005 and how many were from group presented.

John
                            Last edited by John R.; 07-29-2015, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Interesting the Pour Le Merit at the top ...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X