EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treasure trove of Opa's items - medal authentication, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treasure trove of Opa's items - medal authentication, please!

A while back I posted some information about my grandfather and his service in the Kriegsmarine, and kind folks here helped me to determine which medals he is wearing in his wedding photo. Recently my family was going through some old belongings of his, and found what I consider to be a treasure trove of items, including his Soldbuch, Schiessbuch, two Fühurungsbuchs, an Ahnenpass (with extensive and painstakingly recorded family history back into the 1700s!), and other items.

In there were also his medals. I am posting pictures of them to get everyone's take on authenticity. The reason I question the authenticity is because I know that his house was broken into many years ago (> 35 years ago, in fact), and some of his medals (and Kar 98!) were stolen. He sought replacements from Austria, which was apparently one of the only sources of (good) reproductions at the time. However, my dad was unsure whether he ever got the reproductions, or which medals were stolen.

So, it is to you, the experts, that I place the question of authenticity! I will post some of the paperwork in the near future, for those interested.

One thing I know for sure from his paperwork, he WAS awarded the medals below, it's just a question of whether that terrible thief got all the real ones .

High Seas Fleet - front

High Seas Fleet - back

EKII, Memel and Sudeten medals - front

EKII, Memel and Sudeten medals - back

EKI - front

EKI - back

DRA sport badge, bronze, back

Wound badge, black - back
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 06-15-2015, 10:06 AM. Reason: uploaded the linked image

Well,the individual badges should be posted on the appropriate forums for better opinions.I am refering to the EK's,Sports badge,Memel,etc.

I would like to see a reverse image of the KM Fleet badge,but from what i see of the obverse image you have posted here,it looks good to me.

Regars,Martin.

Comment

Hi ReiseReise,

The reverse photo isn't coming through but so far, from the obverse view, it looks like a good albeit polished Tombak Schwerin Fleet Badge. If you could get the reverse view to display it would help to confirm.

Best regards,
      ---Norm

P.S. Ah, I see Martin was posting at the same time -- I agree completely with his comments.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I will post the other awards in the corresponding sections.

Let's see if this reverse comes through:

Attached Files
        Last edited by Norm F; 06-15-2015, 10:07 AM. Reason: uploaded the linked image

Comment

Great grouping of medals/awards. Hope to see the paperwork posted in the appropriate forums!

best
          Hank
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Do you know when Opa was awarded the EK 1?

Comment

Agreed, HSF is original tombak Schwerin badge
              Cheers,
              Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X