Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwerin Coastal Artillery

Gents,

Sometimes its worth getting up early on a Sunday morning. I found this one this morning and after some deliberation I bought it. These are not my strong point but it looks pretty good (and minty) to me. Maybe a touch to good. Anybody see any red flags?
    Yes I have noticed the gold slopped onto the front and the slightly wonky hinge.

Thanks. Skip
    Attached Files
    LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

It´s a keeper, real minty Schwerin
      Regards
      Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
      I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Hi Hans,

thanks, yes I think its good as well but its always nice to find confirmation here. Especially when its as minty as this one is.

Skip

Comment

Very nice !

Comment

Hi Skip,

Yes, very nice and uncommon in this condition. Poor Rob H is probably going to when he sees/reads this!

Regards
            Mike K
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

You ain't whistling dixie there Mike. and one for luck

Good pick up skip
              Rob
              Regards, Rob
              Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Hi Skipy,

And an other stunning badge, why isn't their anything to find on those fleamarkets when I'm arround? Are you sure you took me the right ones .

I don't doubt the authenticity of the badge but like on so many other Schwerins I really don't understand how these guys finished there badges.

I suppose everybody knows the HSF badge with a touch of grey paint on the lower arm of the gold swas. This always lead me to believe that the grey was applied after the gold finish. However which color come first on your badge. Here we clearly see the gold overlapping the grey aswell as the grey overlapping the gold in some areas. Really wish somebody could give me an explanation for this

KR
                Philippe

Comment

I have gt a similar badge, with similar sloppy finish.

If you take a good look at the pick, you can see the grey around the gun-barrel overlaps the gold finish.
                  This would mean the reverse was finished first, then the gold, and then the grey on the front (?)

A bit odd, but apparently true...

ben

Comment

Originally posted by ben bijker
                    I have gt a similar badge, with similar sloppy finish.

If you take a good look at the pick, you can see the grey around the gun-barrel overlaps the gold finish.
                    This would mean the reverse was finished first, then the gold, and then the grey on the front (?)

A bit odd, but apparently true...

ben
                    Where you see the grey there simply is no gold..
                    The gold is applied over the grey,look at 3 o'clock how the gold is bleeding over the grey..
                    Just my opinion..
                    Nice badge BTW..

Jos.
                    Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 01-02-2005, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Hi,

From what I've seen, I also believe that the fire-gilt was literally painted on last on Schwerins - before being baked/heated/cured (or whatever was involved) to finish the fire-gilt process.

Other companies seem to have finished their badges differently. For example, the Juncker KM Coastal Artillery Badges seem to have the gilt fininsh only on the wreath (and reverse of some badges) whereas the grey was only on the central portion gun/waves (and reverse of some badges) - not one on top of the other like Schwerin.

Regards
                      Mike K
                      Regards
                      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.
                        I was pretty sure that this was a good one but in such a condition it always makes me a little suspicious.
                        Rob, I know you´ve been looking for one of these for ages mate, and believe me, I thought of you when I bought it
                        I would tend to agree that the gold is done as last part of the badge. Were you can see grey near the barrel its just were the worker has missed painting the wreath properly. That together with the slop onto the gun makes for pretty slack workmanship. Another case were Schwerin did´nt take control to seriously.

Skip
                        Last edited by skip; 01-03-2005, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Very nice Skip!

Just like mine

Mads

Comment

Manufacturing & Quality Control

I believe that the manufacturing was done in the following order.

1. Production of the bare metal badge.
                            2. Hand finishing of small cutouts and edges, attachment of hinge, main pin and catch etc.
                            3. Application of a silver plate finish to areas where the “dark oxidised silver” is to be applied.
                            4. Application of dark “silver oxidised finish”.
                            5. Application of fire gilding direct to the obverse brass wreath. (It is common to see this finish spilling over onto the reverse side of the wreath also).
                            6. Burnishing of highlights on fire gilding e.g. swastikas, wreath highlights.

Regarding quality control, I have seen a lot of sloppyness on minty badges not so much on used ones, perhaps the quality control is why it is minty, i.e. not awarded just put to one side in the factory.

Regards
                            Rob
                            Regards, Rob
                            Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Coastal Artillery

Hi Skip,
                              Beautiful badge and just like mine as well. Although your piece has a little nicer finish to it.

In my opinion, the gold was put on last. I only collect Scherwin Berlin KM badges and this is typical.
                              Regards,
                              Jody

Here is my vaulted example.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Jody Beltram; 01-03-2005, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X