Cloth E-Boat badge, big and ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloth E-Boat badge, big and ugly

I have this cloth e-boat badge. Let me start by saying I don't think it's a genuine piece.. But I am curious about it, has anyone ever seen one like it? It looks sort of old, 30+ years if I had to guess. And at one time appears to have been sewn onto something. I was wondering if this was maybe made for a movie prop uniform? It's big and ugly, and I can't see them being made to fool collectors... couldn't help but wonder who made it and why?
    Attached Files

Compared to a cloth destroyer badge.
    Attached Files

Comment

Going on my gut feeling here I really like it!

KR. Thomas

Comment

I like it as well.

Comment

I would buy it if offered to me, just based on the feeling. I like the backing too..

Christian

Comment

It's impossible to say anything with certainty. I don't like it any less than that type of Destroyer patch, but it is odd for it to be larger than standard size and I couldn't imagine that would be tolerated against regulations for very long?

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
              It's impossible to say anything with certainty. I don't like it any less than that type of Destroyer patch, but it is odd for it to be larger than standard size and I couldn't imagine that would be tolerated against regulations for very long?

Best regards,
              ---Norm

But the 2. type e-boot abz. in metal is noticeably larger than the other KM badges.

KR Thomas

Comment

E-boat

I can't see why anyone would want to make a reproduction of such an ugly designed badge. I like the backing too.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Bendixen View Post
                  But the 2. type e-boot abz. in metal is noticeably larger than the other KM badges.

KR Thomas
                  The 2nd pattern S-Boat has standard wreath dimensions -- just a larger national symbol and different boat. There's no such thing as an official over-sized war badge. Anyway, this cloth badge actually shows the 1st pattern design, not the 2nd pattern, but oversized and with non-standard proportions.

Being the 1st pattern is actually in its favour since the 2nd pattern design wasn't released until the beginning of 1943 -- nine months after all cloth badges were forbidden by the OKM.

Originally posted by Steve Mezey View Post
                  I can't see why anyone would want to make a reproduction of such an ugly designed badge. I like the backing too.
                  Steve
                  I didn't say it was a reproduction (although it could be), only that it was non-standard and wouldn't be tolerated long under regulations.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Last edited by Norm F; 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I sure like it. Both the detail work of the thread and the materials.

-Brian

Comment

Hi Norm, my mistake

Even the 1. Mod is a tad higher than the zerstörer.

Kr. Thomas
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all of your comments

I was doubtful, but at the back of my head I was thinking that maybe, just maybe it was a war time made badge, but by some foreign unofficial maker. Previously I've searched this forum for other cloth E-boat badges, but wasn't able to find much. Now I'm really interested. What, if any, original cloth S-boot/E-boat badges are out there??

Comment

Hi

I used to own this actual badge and it is a copy in my opinion. I say this because although it is certainly hand embroidered and nicely done so I found a U-boat badge and a HSF made exactly in this weird style from different sources including a well known fake seller in no more than a 3 month period last year.

On its own it would be convincing but that was enough to damn it for me and you will see more appear for sure

Comment

Good to know, Patrick.

It sure is convincing if it's a fake.

-Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
                              I used to own this actual badge and it is a copy in my opinion. I say this because although it is certainly hand embroidered and nicely done so I found a U-boat badge and a HSF made exactly in this weird style from different sources including a well known fake seller in no more than a 3 month period last year.

On its own it would be convincing but that was enough to damn it for me and you will see more appear for sure
                              Here's the previous thread on the U-Boat badge in the same style. It too was larger than standard, 6.5 cm across the wreath.
                              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...76#post6003076

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X