Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck u-boat badge

Hi guys...
    Here's a u-boat badge that I would like some comments on.
    Good, bad, kudos or brickbats...have at it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tony
    Attached Files
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Hi Tony,

Well, you've come up with another interesting discussion piece!

It's the S&L U-Boat design, but there are some slight irregularities to the internal cutout margins compared to the usual Tombak badges (some examples attached). The fore deck gun looks slightly distorted to me as well.

My first instinct was a reproduction of an S&L U-Boat badge with an imaginative rudimentary pin system but actually now I'm not so sure. The intriguing feature that sways towards something more significant is the little horizontal dent in that "top hook". That looks exactly like the top hooks used by S&L on their Tombak Destroyer, which makes me think maybe this item did indeed come out of S&L's workshop.

If that's the case then the question is when. Could this have been S&L imaginatively slapping some wartime leftovers together in the post-war era or maybe even striking a new badge post-war with their wartime tooling?

An intriguing item for sure.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
      Could this have been S&L imaginatively slapping some wartime leftovers together in the post-war era or maybe even striking a new badge post-war with their wartime tooling?
      Another possibility comes to mind. Could this be a wartime display piece for attaching to a promotions board in shops or shows like this display from March, 1941 in Leipzig? It makes sense not to waste a hinge setup on a display piece.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

I recall seeing a U Boat photo album, years ago, that had a U Boat badge attached to the cover with prongs. Perhaps this is the purpose.

Bob Hritz
        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Maybe the pictures distract from the original color of the piece, but from these photographs, the badge looks like a reproduction from a modern alloy to me.

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Nordmark View Post
            Maybe the pictures distract from the original color of the piece, but from these photographs, the badge looks like a reproduction from a modern alloy to me.
            Could be, but if so then the faker was darned smart at imitating S&L's details. The colour on photos can certainly be misleading but also, if it was only meant for display and not wear, maybe it didn't get the usual finish?

The die details match the S&L "Type 1" die used for the somewhat rare Tombak version which is slightly different from the 2nd die which was used for the common zincers.

And that top hook sure is a dead ringer for the S&L Destroyer, so whenever it was made it seems likely to be an S&L product.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys.
              The color rendition in the picture is horrible. Too harsh natural light. Sorry old image.
              It seems to be tombak and the finish is similar to wartime badges.
              It came in a pile of non -related stuff. I wasn't sure then but it was comprable quality wise to other tombak badges except for the pins. Then again I 've been fooled before.
              Maybe someone else has dome other ideas.
              Tony
              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X