Hilfskreuzer for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAndrew View Post
    I've had more than one badge or medal that was blessed by many that in later years was shown to be bad. But even the best of earlier intentions did not put the money back in my pocket.

JAndrew
    Do you still have images of what you are talking about, who blessed them, etc. If blessed on this forum, the thread should still be there and it would be interesting to review.

We have made plenty of mistakes over the years since the forum started, but I think more on the side of caution overall, meaning, good badges proclaimed bad, not bad badges proclaimed good. On balance.

John

Comment

I would also like to point out that real research on KM badges started with Torpedo Los and various threads here about Schwerin Berlin, around Jan 2008. The huge work in the pinned thread above in book form is of course very recent.

A collector prior to 2008 had this forum and not much else to go by. Prior to 2008 we were compiling images, variations, etc, and then with the arrival of Norm on the collecting scene, a far more systematic and analytical methodology was introduced, to the great benefit of the KM hobby.

So if you were collecting badges up until the year 2000 for example, or worse (or better depending on your viewpoint), pre-internet, you had to go by what others said based on hands on knowledge. That was well and good, but a lot of fakes ended up in collections in those days along with the gems that were bought for very little money in the 50's and 60's and 70's.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
        I am not sure a personalized badge was worked on here or somebody since 1942 tried to buff it up and recondition it in some misguided attempt at restoration.
        I don't think this was any attempt at restoration either; I was thinking more along the lines of "re-privatization" by the original owner or a family member in a time post-war when it was common to feel ambivalent if not ashamed about war service. The two choices would be to de-nazify and leave the personalization intact or simply remove any personal connection and move on. Conceivably, any amount of painful memories could have been evoked by what originally was there. All speculation of course -- I just can't think of another reason why anyone would scrape off all the reverse finish.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

hope its a good one because i bought it already

Comment

Originally posted by bacilko30 View Post
            hope its a good one because i bought it already
            Hi bacilko30,

Well, of those opinions expressed in this thread so far you have 5 who believe it's a typical original and 1 with very high standards who reserves judgement and freely acknowledges that he "may be passing on good badges". Pretty good odds there but beyond that you have to go with your own comfort level based on your own research and experience.

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

thanks for your answer Norm. im feeling better now maybe its a die flawed piece....it comes with coa so theres moneyback guarantee...

Comment

Here's another example of a period Juncker in which I've circled small surface irregularities like those circled by JAndrew in post #5. These are tiny surface blips that don't detract from the badge in my view. Same reverse setup and rivet I believe.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                  These are tiny surface blips that don't detract from the badge in my view.
                  Agreed One can only spot them when blowing the image on the screen.
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

For me there is no doubt the badge started this thread is 100% original. Not the most attractive strike, and unfortunately with a messed up scratched or filed reverse.
                    Kind regards,
                    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

hi and thanks for your opinions. here is one photo after cleaning with oil and toothbrush
                      Attached Files

Comment

Shines like a star, very nice!
                        Cheers,
                        Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X