Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OPINIONS! U-Boat

Opinions PLEASE!!! Thanks - Marc

This has the characteristics of being manufactured by an unidentified maker of Uboat badges. If it's real, it's the finest one I've ever seen. Unfortunately the pin is missing from mine.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Larry Lipps; 12-02-2004, 11:03 PM.
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Hi Marc,

Absolutely stunning badge , grab it if you can .

The hinge, reverse finish and cut-out swas ar very uncommon for this unknown maker but I don't doubt the authenticity of this badge for one second. I'm sure it looks even bettr in hand than on these pics.

KR
      Philippe
      Last edited by Philippe DB; 12-03-2004, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Hi Marc,

Very nice UKA, with probably a superior hand finishing, it is the first time that I see this type with this finition...

Thanks to post more pictures of the gilding.

Regards,

Michel
        Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

Guys, for my education and certainly no attempt to rain on anyone's parade, I need a clarification on Uboat badges by the unknown maker. There was a point not long ago where it was proposed that these badges might have been made by Schwerin because they always had the Schwerin style hinge and wide, white medal catch. My question is whether it is accepted that different styles of hinges, pins, and catches were utilized by this maker. Sorry, but mint items always scare me unless they conform exactly to accepted standards.
          Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Larry,
            Here is one Weitze just sold as well:

Comment

Larry,

I agree that we need a good discussion on this. Look at the block on the cath - yours has a different one than the two I have posted. Thoughts?
              Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Lipps
                Guys, for my education and certainly no attempt to rain on anyone's parade, I need a clarification on Uboat badges by the unknown maker. There was a point not long ago where it was proposed that these badges might have been made by Schwerin because they always had the Schwerin style hinge and wide, white medal catch. My question is whether it is accepted that different styles of hinges, pins, and catches were utilized by this maker. Sorry, but mint items always scare me unless they conform exactly to accepted standards.
                Hi Larry,

I think we all agreed that the badge form this unknown maker Frank once posted featured a post war applied Schwerin maker mark

The badge Mark posted altough in exceptional condition IMO show traces of wear visible both on the fragile polished fire guilding on both swas and U-Boat.

I still have to see even half way acceptable copies that tried to duplicate early war fire guilding. It is that quality fire guilding that I think I can see on the badge that started this thread and that makes me conclude that this can't be anything else than an original war time U-Boat badge.

KR
                Philippe

KR
                Philippe

Comment

I will post detailed pics when she arrives. This will be my first Kriegsmarine badge!
                  Marc

Comment

Hello all...I am for sure very interested in seeing more posts of this thread.

I am finding this thread interesting and educational from the stand point that I have never seen a U-boat badge so pristine. My novice question to the forum members deals with the back of the badge and the way it is textured. I am by far no expert but most of the U-boat badges I have seen have had a more of a semi smooth backing.
                    Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Certainly valid point - Kai Winkler has a totally mint Schwerin, though the price is nuts - almost $1100! So they exist. As for the reverse, I am not the expert on these badges, hence my search for knowledge..
                      Marc

Comment

Hey Marc...thanks for the background on such pristine U-boat badge that do exist with such a price tag to go with it.
                        Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X