High Seas. Original or Copy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Seas. Original or Copy?

High Seas. Original or Copy? Opinions please.

I have owned this High Seas badge for about five years. It is marked just above the hook in raised letters.

FEC. ADOLF BOCK
    AUSF. SCHWERIN . BERLIN
    I’ve always had a pretty good feeling about it, but I am alarmed by the number of copies I see identified by this group. How does this one look?

Thank you very much.
    Chris
    a.k.a. Egret
    New Hampshire
    Attached Files

Back
    Attached Files

Comment

That IMO is an original zinc badge. Not in great nick but still very nice.

Comment

I'm not so sure about this one. The features are indistinct, the reverse is rough, and I don't like the hinge on the pin.
        JMHO
        Don
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Hi Chris,

It looks rough but it appears to have the characteristics of an original. The hine and catch are correct for a zincer - the hinge may be a bit low compared to some others. I'd like to see an image with the pin in the closed position to confirm everything is OK. Apart from the poor finish, I don't think you have much to worry about.

Regards
          Mike K
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hello Don

Is it your opinion that this may be a floch? (given the construction of the hinge and pin). Nevertheless. you are right about the lack of clear detail on this badge and I also notice the five windows (above the battleship's guns) are very uneven. Not crazy about this badge, but I am no expert.

Best Regards

Mike

Originally posted by ddoering
            I'm not so sure about this one. The features are indistinct, the reverse is rough, and I don't like the hinge on the pin.
            JMHO
            Don

Comment

Hi Chris,
              I feel that this badge is OK, late, zincky and rough but good.
              I have quite a few pics of this maker's HSF badges in my files, and it seems there were 2 dies. Can anyone confirm this?
              The early ones have the first window high, and the later ones (yours) have the third window high. Of course, this is one detail amongst others, but yours seems to match up...
              I'd like to hear more from members who know about the 2 dies
              regards
              jon

Comment

Thank you all.

Mike K, Hinge from side angle.

Chris,

aka Egret

New Hampshire
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Egret
                  Thank you all.

Mike K, Hinge from side angle.

Chris,

aka Egret

New Hampshire
                  Hi Chris,

Imo it still looks good. A "square-on" image of the reverse (ie like a scan) with the pin down would be better.

Regards
                  Mike K
                  Regards
                  Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hello Mike

While you have your camera out, would you consider posting a close-up picture of the hinge and pin from above, not the side (and please continue to keep the pin closed). Thanks
                    Best Regards

Mike

Comment

Like this?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Egret
                        Like this?
                        Hi Chris,

Yes, like that. Personally, I think it is fine. The Schwerin zincers were a bit rough and the later zincers didn't hold their finish that well. On your prevoous pic, I detect some vaulting on the eagle's reverse right wing - nice touch!

Jon, re two dies, I don't believe it and I've outlined my reasoning in my article on the member's only section of wehrmacht-awards.com.

Regards
                        Mike K
                        Regards
                        Mike

Comment

The badge looks good to me. Lots of ageing...but it actually looks minty!
                          Sharp details, very little wear and still some gold gilt in the recesses.
                          Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Thank you all.
                            Mike K, nice article; I wonder what you meant by defects “at wreath area adjacent to the mast arms”. I can’t get to your linked pictures.
                            Very nice web page by Paul Massucci with big photos of several badges.
                            This High Seas badge came with a life time warranty from Weitze, but I believe I am now comfortable keeping it.
                            Thank you very much.
                            Chris
                            a.k.a. Egret
                            New Hampshire
                            Last edited by Egret; 11-22-2004, 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

With this last picture, I also agree its good Congrats!

Best Regards

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X