Auxiliary Cruiser War Badge. Maker Schwerin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey what happens, is those AC in that cost area now?
    I have one

Andy

Item No: 2699
    (3. Reich - Military Awards - Navy Awards and Badges)

A brass/tombak based example of the Auxiliary Cruiser War Badge, The solid badge in an excellent, absolutly unworn condition. The wreath with all of the matt gilt plate, the high points and swastika burnished. The globe with all of its finish. The pin with practically all of the dark finish.
    Marked on the reverse with the maker "Schwerin Berlin".
    Extremly difficult to find badge in such condition. Unupgradable.

http://www.militaria-berlin.de/shopg...2Gk%3D&nr=2699

http://www.militaria-berlin.de/shopg...2Gk%3D&nr=2699

This article is supplied with a free expertise. 3.295,00 EUR
    4.492,40 USD

Hi Andy,
    Everyone is free to ask the price he wants, but personally I would not pay more than half of it. And I'll find one eventually, this is only the question of time
    Cheers,
    Hubert

Comment

I wouldn't say the price is real. In fact, almost all major dealers have them, so
      it's not that hard to get, also, if you're willing to pay.

Also, look for how long it's going to be for sale. Also note when some dealers are marking items as sold, and putting them to some future update again.

It's a game, and it's not those who has the most money that pay but those who doesn't know the rules ;-).

Anyway, a great piece which I still miss for my Schwerin KM collection ;-).

Comment

To tell the truth I also was confused with the price... The badge is not so rare even in such condition imo.

Comment

They are slowly killing the pleasure for the average collector.
          The way they increase the prices is not a good thing for the hobby.
          I see one dealer asks a ridicolous price and all the others jump on the same train
          and before we know it that price is set as the new market value.

Comment

Kai Winkler has been overtaken for months by those guys as the most expensive dealers on earth.

The crazy thing .. they keep selling stuff ...

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
              Hi Andy,
              Everyone is free to ask the price he wants, but personally I would not pay more than half of it. And I'll find one eventually, this is only the question of time
              Cheers,
              Hubert

IĀ“ll agree with you Hubert

Andy

Comment

German-Historica sold a minty one for 2200ā‚¬ last week.

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                  Kai Winkler has been overtaken for months by those guys as the most expensive dealers on earth.

I wander to whom?

As I can see, not to name those dealers, they are moving the items around the inventory, taking different photos, marking as sold and that bringing the items back in the future updates ;-)

The purpose of that game is obvious, and marketing can be a good thing for the seller BUT also a very bad thing for the buyer if he don't do the homework.

There are, however, some people willing to pay huge price, but average collector has the limits he will not break.

I would rather be without this piece (and I am) than agree to such a huge price which I think is completely unreal.

As we say in Croatia "Every price has it's own fool" ;-)

Comment

I was looking for a nice Schnelboot, Schwerin tombac in a very good to excellent state for a long time.
                    Of course, I could give 2300-2500eur to a dealer and that's it. But I rather waited.

And some time ago I bought it from a forum fellow member for 2k US$ which is today less than 1500 Eur ;-).

Just take your time, study and look all around, that's all it takes.

Comment

I am not so sure SB aux. cruisers in this condition are so easy to find. I was very lucky with one of mine (I have two) that I found on a minor German dealer site many years ago and it is truly beautiful with a rich lemon finish. It was very inexpensive since I am not sure the dealer knew what it was, or maybe thought it was a fake. In any case, I offered half of what he wanted and he accepted. You never know and it does not hurt to ask. Not all dealers will compromise, but I have found the German dealers willing from time to time.

My second example I bought from Frank Hukemes when he left the hobby for around what Bubba said is a fair price above. It was the first badge Frank sold when he decided to retire from collecting and it was one of the first badges he ever acquired. If you do not know who Frank was, you need to check the old posts. He was one of the true pioneers of the hobby in regards to combat badges and a great collector who never failed to help others.

He was extremely friendly to me when I joined the forum and we all know what it is like when you join a forum.

Anyway, if you do not have a Schwerin AC, maybe you would pay above the market price (if there is actually a market price) and you were a focused collector, meaning you only needed that badge to complete a series. Compared to helmets, some cloth caps, some cloth items, etc, our little world of KM badges is not so expensive in comparison.

I do agree, take your time, try to negotiate, keep records. In other words, how often do you actually see a minty (outstanding condition) SB AC--twice a year? I know we went for years without seeing any, or maybe one. Just could not find them. I admit, we seem to have seen many more outstanding KM badges over the last 18 months, so patience should pay off.

John

Comment

Originally posted by amiklic1 View Post
                        I was looking for a nice Schnelboot, Schwerin tombac in a very good to excellent state for a long time.

And some time ago I bought it from a forum fellow member for 2k US$ which is today less than 1500 Eur ;-).

Just take your time, study and look all around, that's all it takes.
                        I agree with this price for an excellent SB S-boat, no more than 2000 USD.

Not like 2000 USD is something to sneeze at for most of us. It is a lot of money, but, at 2000 USD, you can sell it if you have to and get your money back.

John

Comment

By the way, my tombak Otto Schickle, Pforzheim (unmarked) AC was given to me as a gift from Jeff V on this forum a number of years ago.

Jeff spotted it buried at a show in California and bought it relatively cheap, although it was far from free.

He knew I was into KM badges so he got it for me and when we met months later, he handed it to me and told me how he found it.

I will not forget his kindness about that badge. I did get him a copy of the "Kriegsmarine Awards" though.

He has helped other collectors in the same way in the past, not just me, so there are some great members on this forum. Jeff is one of them.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post

I agree, but do they really get what they want? That we donĀ“t know...

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                              By the way, my tombak Otto Schickle, Pforzheim (unmarked) AC was given to me as a gift from Jeff V on this forum a number of years ago.

Jeff spotted it buried at a show in California and bought it relatively cheap, although it was far from free.

He knew I was into KM badges so he got it for me and when we met months later, he handed it to me and told me how he found it.

I will not forget his kindness about that badge. I did get him a copy of the "Kriegsmarine Awards" though.

He has helped other collectors in the same way in the past, not just me, so there are some great members on this forum. Jeff is one of them.

John
                              Wonderful story John.

I am also fortunate enough to have one of these tombak Schickle's in my collection.

You are the only other person i know who has one,and i have seen one more come up for sale many years ago,no idea who owns that example.Next to the Meybauer's i consider them the rarest of the tombak HK's.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X