Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal artillery badge...original??

Hi all,
    A friend of mine asked me to look at this badge today and asked my opinion on it,well to tell the truth I'm not too hot on navy badges ....so what do you think chaps,original or fake? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Dave
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

eagle
      Attached Files

Comment

hinge
        Attached Files

Comment

retaining catch
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dave,

Although I can't match it to a known copie in my files I'm no big fan of this badge.

It looks extremely thick, the base metall isn't tombak and the setup attempts to look like Juncker which this badge most certainly isn't.

KR
            Philippe

Comment

Hi Dave and Phillipe, This is very interesting to me as I just found a bunch of naval, and HEER badges including this one at a bazaar on my post in Kitzigen Germany. This one didn't look right to me, but the vendor had many other badges that were all much more convincing. In particular a HSF badge that would have definitely fooled me had the seller not been honest from the get go. Anyway long story short, he said there is a collector from the states producing them and he's been buying them to sell along with his original themed WWII paintings. I have the vendors card, and will be following up on the replicas I speak of soon. A little off topic but it may be important as this vendor had literally hundreds of very high quality repro's and I'm afraid they may start turning up in mass. Greg

Comment

Also one that I have never seen before. Agree that it doesn't look like Tombak but some type of whitemetal.

Also don't like the hinge or pin assembiles. The pin looks "machined". and the hinge appears to me closed on one side...at least I can't see where the hinge pin would normally be visible.

However, it is a nice looking badge and the eagle shows good details with a unique design. My guess is that it is a very recent, well-made fake.
                Attached Files
                Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

The eagle is very nice, IMHO too nice for a real KM badge.

Al

Comment

To me, the gun looks a little short as well as too fat. I would say . Sorry

Best Regards
                    Mike

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments,I shall tell my friend

Lorenzo,yes it does appear to be whitemetal and the hinge is open both sides....its just the naff pic that makes it look closed.

Its a shame the badge is a fake,it's a beauty....quite scary that the fakers are getting to this quality.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Hi guys,

I do not agree that it is a new fake. It is the well known fake with the ball eye, but with a better hinge, pin and catch. The body of the fake stayed exactly the same. Also interesting to see that the "new" hinge resembles that used on some EK1 fakes.
                        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hello to all,

I agree! Definitely not an original badge in my opinion.
                          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Guys,

like Frank says, this is the one we christened "Popeye" sometime last year.

Skip
                            LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Have just clicked onto this thread, must admit the thickness of the eagle and the pop-eye were the gave away for me. Barrel of the artillery looks a little strange also. The reverse pin, hinge, catch however looks quite convincing. You have to admit they are getting coser.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X