No announcement yet.

Sawfish patches/small battle units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even the division patch was on the left arm, at the top. Not the right arm as I thought before. Here are blurry images, but you can see them. Graf Spee sailors.

John
    Attached Files

Comment

With shields, and division stripes, and rating badges and rank badges, they were running out of room.

John
      Last edited by John R.; 07-02-2014, 12:06 AM.

Comment

But only the first patch was the candidate's or proficiency patch. The next ones were actually called Kampfabzeichen and as you know after the first 4 levels, levels 5 to 7 were meant to be worn as clasps on the chest (but they were never made). These are analogous to war badges and are named as such.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

Ah, we don't have to speculate any more. I just found it in Deutsche Uniformen-Zeitschrift in the January 1945 issue:

"Die Abzeichen bis zu vierten Stufe einschließlich werden auf dem rechten Oberarm getragen, während die Spangen über der Ordensschnalle anzulegen sind."

"The badges up to the fourth level inclusive are worn on the right upper arm, while the clasps are to be attached above the medal bar."

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
            Even the division patch was on the left arm, at the top. Not the right arm as I thought before. Here are blurry images, but you can see them. Graf Spee sailors.

John
            Hi John,

As an aside, the division stripes were on the right arm for the starboard divisions (Steuerbordwache Division 1, 3 and 5) and the left arm for the port divisions (Backbordwache Division 2, 4 and 6).

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Norm. John

Comment

Here is the sawfish clasp patch from C. Alisby book but it does not look very convincing
                Cheers,
                Hubert
                Attached Files

Comment

Not the first thing in one of Ailsby's books that is not convincing.
                  JAndrew

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                    Here is the sawfish clasp patch from C. Alisby book but it does not look very convincing
                    Cheers,
                    Hubert
                    A Collectors Guide to lose your money
                    <O</O

Comment

As the price of his book is pretty low, unfortunately it's one of the first books many new collectors buy, including myself.

Just when you do your homework you can see all the issues one can find inside ;-).

Comment

Stauffer Auktionen

Stauffer Auktionen has this for sale at 350 euros. Opinions?

John
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                          Stauffer Auktionen has this for sale at 350 euros. Opinions?

John
                          Hi John,

That Level 2 patch is same "4-tooth" type as this Level 3 patch discussed previously. Not the type found in veteran groupings or in photos, always mint and presumed to be fake. The date and "maker mark" are a nice addition though...

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Attached Files

Comment

I thought the date was a nice touch also.

John

Comment

To bring this discussion "full circle", I noticed the same type of patch that started off this thread, deemed reproduction, which sold in 2013 for 600 Euro, has just sold for 550 Euro now. I guess nothing was learned from all this other than the market hasn't changed much...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Let me try to recap this last posted example.

We "consider" it a reproduction since there are 7 vertical denticles in each example. To be considered period, we are speculating based on our study that acceptable versions have 6 vertical denticles and a 7th backwards sloping denticel.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X