No announcement yet.

KM badge Finish Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree, am going to return and will keep looking:dead. Thanks to all for help and sharing your knowledge!

Comment

interesting observation, looked at the badge under higher magnification, it appears as if there is a "copper" colored powdery "loose" substance ,which is the source of what comes off, in the recesses on the badge. I have tried to photograph this see photo. Perhaps others are correct regarding the "rub and buff" substance?? The remainder of the finish looks correct and does not come off. Still think I am going to return, however, might as well learn all i can!
      Attached Files

Comment

S-boot

Hello,
        For the record, I would not want such a badge. You are correct in returning it.

Jody

Comment

Originally posted by Indycollector View Post
          interesting observation, looked at the badge under higher magnification, it appears as if there is a "copper" colored powdery "loose" substance ,which is the source of what comes off, in the recesses on the badge. I have tried to photograph this see photo. Perhaps others are correct regarding the "rub and buff" substance?? The remainder of the finish looks correct and does not come off. Still think I am going to return, however, might as well learn all i can!
          I think it's repainted, as showed in the last photo you can see a different tone of gold (or yellow) paint in the recesses, look also the difference in tone on swastika and wreath, in the waves also seem to be some little yellow point, the badge is good and expensive but obviously the interest is lower if it's repainted...
          I don't think it's a nice idea for a dealer to leave a customer spending thousands of dollars with his problems and suggest to handle it by himself the badge working on with acetone, if it would so simple to do that the dealer could do it .
          And when the fake paint comes away, the dealer can say that the customer did make a damage?
          why don't you post pictures of the other badges bought from this dealer?

Comment

Update, returned the badge to the dealer, they cleaned the badge with acetone and a Q-tip which yielded no finish removal, just some gold flecks same as I observed. This dealer has been great through this, no issues what so ever. Very focused on customer satisfaction!

Comment

Just what I thought in fact.
              I wanted to say that I would wipe it with acetone, but that would probably cause denial of the right to return it, so it's better that the dealer did it.

It's a great badge, and who knows why someone put an additional coat of paint to it ;-)

Comment

Update, returned the badge to the dealer, they cleaned the badge with acetone and a Q-tip which yielded no finish removal, just some gold flecks same as I observed. This dealer has been great through this, no issues what so ever. Very focused on customer satisfaction!
                well done, can we see a picture of this badge after fake finish removal?

Comment

It looks pretty much the same,as I experienced, the dealer just saw small specs of gold come off, however, no detectable, by eye anyway, difference ifs overall finish and they wiped the entire wreath. Still looks pristine! Either somebody just rubbed it with buff and shine or the guilding is just degrading with time. Think the overall finish is original.

Comment

After the dealer comments and having it checked out by phillip DB, think i am going to keep the badge, do not see many in this condition.

Comment

Still looks pristine! Either somebody just rubbed it with buff and shine or the gilding is just degrading with time. Think the overall finish is original.
                      That's a happy ending. If it had a bit of a rub with "buff and shine" or some such thing and that's now all flaked off and gone then you're left with a nice badge.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

it seems that you have a nice badge at the end

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X