Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSF Badge - Opinions

Hi All,
    I'm posting this HSF badge for a friend. I know absolutely nothing about KM badges. The only thing that concerned me about this one is the "mangled" swastika that still retains 100% of its finish.
    Any opinions? A keeper?
    Attached Files

Tim, perfectly good original early tombak Schwerin badge in mint condition. The badge may have had a slight mistrike causing a slight distortion of the swastika. The finish on it looks consistant with the rest of the gilding, so I wouldn't be to worried about it.
    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

I say its an original.

Al

Comment

Is the disfigured swaz just some kind of production flaw? I have never seen one like this before.

Comment

Hi,

I agree that the badge is an original - no problems on authenticity.

I don't believe the mangled swas is anything to do with the die or a mistrike - imo more like an attempt at de-nazification or it's taken a really bad knock.

From the images, I really question the amount of wear on the badge. It is definitely NOT mint (tombak is showing through on the highpoints of the ship and the ship appears more silver than the original dark grey finish) and from the scans I'm not seeing the fire-gilt effect (possibly only because of the image) - I have a suspicion there is a lot of basemetal exposed. From experience, worn fire-gilt on these badges is very close in tone to bare basemetal. Just my opinions from the images.

It's a nice worn honest example, and very desirable, don't get me wrong on that!

Regards
          Mike K
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. My friend believes that the disfigured swastika is most likely an attempt at de-nazification like Mike suggests.

Comment

Have just clicked onto this thread, no doubts for me good early Tombak award.As for the swaz sometimes when they were de-nazified and found again by a dealer or collector there was an attempt to rebuild the swaz. not saying this is the case here but just a thought for you to check out. Best regards.

Comment

That's a weird one!

Definitely an original Schwerin but that swaz looks well strange. It appears to be shifted to the left in relation to the eagles claws and mast

Cheers,
                David.
                At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

I had a Destroyer badge that had been de-nazified by filing the swaz flat. Someone had tried to reconstruct the swaz by routing the gaps for the arms. Looked just like this.
                  Don
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

-

Looks OK to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X