Schwerin Tombak Destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwerin Tombak Destroyer

Picked this up as part of a small vet bring back. A good early example in fine condition.
    Attached Files

Reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi willcpfc,

I agree, a nice original Schwerin Tombak example. The later of the two die sets, sometimes referred to as Type 2 or Type B. Appears to have been polished a bit at some point in the past.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice original!

We tend to see a lot of kriegs badges "polished" a little, so I am tending to start thinking this was something that could be period done?

Tyler

Comment

Thanks guys, for reference I have taken shots of the eagle and lettering.
          Attached Files

Comment

Eagle detail.
            Attached Files

Comment

The best way to disguinish the the type a badge from the type b is looking at the position of the "L" in Berlin. In the type a badge it is situated directly beneath the "W" in Schwerin.In the type b badge it is slightly offset to the left of the "W".

Also the type a badge has the "hanging" lower arm to the swastika,or "mishapen" as Norm refers to it.

These two types of Schwerin Destroyer badges were dicussed here on WAF some years ago.I did a search but could not find the old thread.

Regards,Martin.
              Last edited by Martin W; 10-05-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                These two types of Schwerin Destroyer badges were dicussed here on WAF some years ago.I did a search but could not find the old thread.

Regards,Martin.
                Hi Martin,

Here it is from 2006 : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...76#post1656276

The old thread from 2006 highlights the utility of recognizing the different die types. Back then a perfectly good badge was initially branded a fake until Martin, Lorenzo and Rob showed the two different types of originals. Studying these kinds of details not only makes the hobby fun, but it makes it safer and easier to tell the fakes from the genuine articles.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Last edited by John R.; 10-06-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

And I liked it back then calling it period.

John

Comment

Looks like polish in the crevices--anybody else think that?

If so, it can be easily removed.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X