No announcement yet.

help on E-Boat Schwerin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot for all the posts..... If I understood right and summarize all your posts I come to the result that the badge might possibly an original. I do agree that through the massiv manipulation the value is at a minimum for a collection but this was clear for me before. That was not my concern to find out that. The only question which was important for me is: is the base badge a fake or not. I investigated the whole surface with magnifying glass and microskope. There is such a great agreement in the details compared to the original that I would be shocked, if more experienced collectors come to the result that the badge is nevertheless a fake. I would ask myself how they can manufacture that. With which process you can copy a "L" which vertical part of the L at the upper part is wide and flat and at the lower part short and well embossed. The original badge is overfilled with this kind of mistakes and all of them can be found in this badge too. So as you can see, for me it is an object of study to come forward in identifying the work of Counterfeiting workshops.

Comment

Regardless:

1. If he gave it to you great.
      2. If it's still his great.
      3. If you bought it for some reason, I'd give it back and wait for something a little better to come along.

You'd have a tough time getting anyone to buy it when the time comes.

Comment

please have a look on this foto:

upper foto: original badge
        lower foto: the badge which we discuss about

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9088076...in/photostream

Comment

That is how you go about it, compare front, back, hardware and maker mark. In this case, since the badge was heavily restored, you cannot get a 100% verdict on the base badge although IMO it is period.

The mere process of a restored badge is enough to change the look of the letters a bit from an original, as you can see from your comparison. Which could also result in an original badge not looking anything like a period badge of course.

Apples to apples is an untouched original in any condition with an untouched original in any condition.

Anyway, glad to see a collector do his homework like you have done.

John

Comment

Hi me262pilot,
            I agree with previous comments. It is (or was) original Schwerin zincer, but heavily messed with:
            - it was denazified and the swaz is restored;
            - it is refinished;
            - top hook is missing;
            - complete reverse hardware is replaced with one taken from period Deumer zinc award.
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X