U-boat badge maker "5"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
    And here's one previously discussed on the forum with the same wrong "65" mark that has appeared on several other makers' products. Of course, one could still argue that these marks are some kind of legitimate distributor's mark (since they don't seem to bear any correlation to the maker's PK number) but I'm skeptical about them since there's often something else atypical about the badges like the odd setups seen on the first two shown and the smooth texture and finish on this one.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Just for the files - I found the same spurious '65' mark on classic and textbook Deumer zinc Minesweeper.
    Cheers,
    Hubert
    Attached Files

Comment

A similar mark on a zinc Meybauer Blockade Breaker. I've also heard this type of mark referred to as an "inspection mark or inspection specimen".

Richard
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RichardT View Post
        I've also heard this type of mark referred to as an "inspection mark or inspection specimen".

Richard
        Hi Richard,

That's interesting, but sounds like flawed conjecture to me. The format of that mark on the Meybauer (with the number in incuse relief) is different from the marks stamped incuse on the F&BL badges which in turn is different from the italicized "65". I don't see why PK approved makers would have to submit the odd example of their output to be inspected by people who used different format stamps each time and which seem to intentionally mimic some PK number stamps...and sometimes pretty wonky atypical examples at that, like some of the U-Boats shown.

The logic just doesn't hang together.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

U boat badge maker "5"

So Guys,
          Now that i heard your opinions,i bought the badge for 250 euro's,as i don't have this type in my collection,price is modest and the dealer was honest about it.
          He explaned me where it came from and gave me a money back guarantee.
          I feel good about the badge,even it's a mystery for some of you,the wear on it looks real and the details are crisp and sharp as on most originals.
          Maybe one day it will show up in a referance book.
          Thanks for your efforts

Comment

Well, in the end, it is up to the buyer and all posts on a forum are opinions. I wish we had discussed the hinge a bit more since it has a very brassy look to it, one that I am not sure we have seen before.

We discussed the mark, and to me these types of marks all fall into the category of postwar, but the hardware itself needed a bit more analysis.

Especially the hinge IMO.

In the evaluation of a badge, everything needs to be looked at, not just a mark, certainly not the obverse since that can be reproduced fairly convincingly. The reverse, meaning hinge, catch and pin plus mark if any need to studied before a final call can be made by the collector.

Even after all that, a collector must go with his own feeling, not just the consensus of this or any other forum, after due consideration of the remarks provided by other collectors.

John

Comment

Might well be Norm. But just something that has been floated around in the past. We simply don't know and might never, thence lots of theories and as John said every collector must ultimately decide for himself. Facts and theories have a tendency to change with time.

Richard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X