X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
    Hi Sepp45,

This one (from eMedals website) has been discussed many times before. Likely a genuine badge with repaired pin seems to be the general consensus. The search function in the forum will show you past discussions.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...99#post5133299

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...10#post4517110

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Thanks for the links Norm, but I wasn't trying to search on the forum. Just asking around . I found this photos on a Russian website, so..

Kind Regards,
    Sepp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
      Thanks for the links Norm, but I wasn't trying to search on the forum. Just asking around . I found this photos on a Russian website, so..

Kind Regards,
      Sepp.
      My point is when you search on a topic (as you must do when researching the U-Boat with diamonds) you'll see that the same photos have been discussed before. It's just the homework we do when discussing a topic so as not to say the same things over and over. I'm not trying to be critical, just a friendly tip.

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
        My point is when you search on a topic (as you must do when researching the U-Boat with diamonds) you'll see that the same photos have been discussed before. It's just the homework we do when discussing a topic so as not to say the same things over and over. I'm not trying to be critical, just a friendly tip.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        I hear you, my friend. Sorry if my respond sounded hard.. I'm just tired. Sometimes I feel I search for hours for information (on many, many websites) on some topics and then you reply with "just search" in order to discuss and avoid the same questions.

Would be nice to see someone else adding photos from time to time.

But, thanks again.

Regards,
        Sepp.

Comment

Hello

When I first started collecting i bought a large collection and in it was two badges of importance. One was the wearer's copy of the PO badge in diamonds, and the other was an Aux Cruiser in diamonds, both came from Sweden, I only have a black and white picture that i took of it but you can see that it was 900 Silver and mint condition. I only wish that i had it now, at the time many years ago there was no books on these badges and nobody believed that either badge was good, sad about that!!

Regards

Anthony
          Attached Files

Comment

Another example.. thoughts on this one?
            ...looks promising.
            Pieter.
            SUUM CUIQUE ...
            sigpic

Comment

Why do so many of the U-Boat badges with diamonds look like they were sand cast? I see pits in many of them. If this was any other badge, everyone would be screaming FAKE.

Bob Hritz
              In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                Why do so many of the U-Boat badges with diamonds look like they were sand cast? I see pits in many of them. If this was any other badge, everyone would be screaming FAKE.

Bob Hritz
                Hi Bob,

It is disconcerting, but then again we also see pitted Schwerin U-Boats in Tombak from time to time like the ones in this thread:
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...43#post5404043

Despite popular opinion, Schwerin was certainly not a god of quality U-boats. And silver is much softer than Tombak, maybe more prone to dings and scratches?

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post

Bob Hritz
                  ...like the backs of 900CEJ Spanish Crosses ...
                  The U boot , SC,and others are sand blasted.
                  Pieter.
                  SUUM CUIQUE ...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pieter Verbruggen View Post
                    ...like the backs of 900CEJ Spanish Crosses ...
                    The U boot , SC,and others are sand blasted.
                    Pieter.

It is the front casting pits that look like $hit.

Bob Hritz
                    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I often wondered about these special u-boat badges...if they are gilded silver why do they have no silver content markings?

Rich
                      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                      Decorations of Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gordon View Post
                        I often wondered about these special u-boat badges...if they are gilded silver why do they have no silver content markings?

Rich
                        Don't know why but none of the "correct" silver U-Boats do. One thing I wondered about is if it's because it's fire gilt? Would you be required to mark a silver object that has been completed coated in a gold finish?

Also these were not for the retail market but rather were purportedly a special order by Raeder so maybe the silver marking rules don't apply for privately commissioned items?

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Last edited by Norm F; 06-14-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

There is no affirmative requirement to mark silver under German law (although that is the ordinary interpretation given German statutes whenever they are mentioned here or, even, discussed in general in articles, on the net, etc.). The statutes were intended to make it illegal to falsely mark pieces. Most manufacturers were proud to mark silver (or gold, or platinum) content, but they were not required to do so. There was a discussion about this here once and the actual statutes were shown, but I have looked for it and cannot find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                            When I first started collecting i bought a large collection and in it was two badges of importance. One was the wearer's copy of the PO badge in diamonds, and the other was an Aux Cruiser in diamonds, both came from Sweden, I only have a black and white picture that i took of it but you can see that it was 900 Silver and mint condition. I only wish that i had it now, at the time many years ago there was no books on these badges and nobody believed that either badge was good, sad about that!!

Regards

Anthony
                            Hi Anthony,

Regarding the Auxiliary Cruiser badge in post #51 formerly in your collection, it depends on what you mean by "good". It can be carefully crafted with real 900 silver and diamonds but is it still "good" if it was made after the war? Although that type of badge has appeared in three books, no book yet shows any proof of provenance, and the two most reputable books make no claims one way or the other.

It's still problematic that neither the design nor the quality of detail of that type match the Rogge-attributed badge, and to date Rogge is the only known recipient of the Auxiliary Cruiser with diamonds badge with photographic evidence. All of the diamond U-Boats are of a common design, so if the Auxiliary Cruisers in question were wartime it doesn't make sense to me that they are a) completely different from the Juncker-like design attributed to Rogge and b) all mint and unworn.
                            And the "arrow-head" lance on that Auxiliary Cruiser badge is more reminiscent of Souval's Auxiliary Cruiser and doesn't appear on the badges of the "prestige makers" Schwerin and Juncker.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm

thank you for the information, you have made me finally feel better that the one that I had is not the same as the only known original and that there is others around that might be questionable

Regards

Anthony

Comment

Korvettenkapitän Herbert Schultze
                                Awarded the U-boat War Badge with Diamonds: July, 15th 1941

On the right, Schultze's diamond notification, made by Raeder. It reads: "Dear Schultze! Honouring your outstanding achievement and your great successes, which you won as commander of U-48, I award you the U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen mit Brillanten.

With friendly greetings and Heil Hitler!
                                "
                                Andreas - Thies was selling Schultze's Badge with Diamonds. Here are the photos:
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Norm F; 06-10-2015, 10:31 AM. Reason: correction: changed "Dönitz" to "Raeder"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X