Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys,

Are we absolutely sure that this is a fake

Does anybody have other pictures of this type of fake. If it is indeed a fake it's by far the best one I have ever seen.

KR
    Philippe

Comment

@Richard: yes, the flag too, but also the overall reverse outer shape is not defined enough. But what makes it most obvious is the letters.

@Philippe: First time I see THAT fake, it surely is different to the fake we encounter most of the time, which is also not bad. But the lettering is yet different again!
      Cheers, Frank

Comment

I´m also a little suprised at the standard of this fake. The lettering is not as straight as on other fakes we have seen thats for sure. Its not exactly the same as the originals, but damm close if you have´nt got anything to compare it to.
        The reverse outline of the sub was obviously very bad and they tried to fix that by filing/sawing into the flag and gun. The swaz has the slightly lopsided look of the originals though.
        Most disturbing is that it looks like they finally fixed the sword hilts.
        Bet a few people will fall for this one in the future.

Skip
        LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

I really would like to handle this one. Still not convinced.

Skip not only did they get the sword hilts correct but more important, the base metall also looks correct (the best fakes always were made of a new shiny material). Besides that, look at the eagles right claw it runs all the way down untill it touches the right swas arm. Untill now I never saw that on the good fakes either.

KR
          Philippe

Comment

Possibly a good casting from the original.
            We need some measurements to check that though.

Skip

Comment

Hi guys
              <O</O
              Thanks for your opinions so far, im way out of my depth on this topic of badge. The badge is being offered to me and obviously it’s a tough call as you know how rare the silver grades are. I have done some searches on the net but cannot find any fakes which show the same chartists as this badge
              <O</O
              I will ask the seller for some measurement of the badge(width and length),when i receive a reply ill post them immediately.
              Kindest Regards
              <O</O
              Mark
              Last edited by Mauser; 08-13-2004, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Mark,

it is a tough one but I think we all lean towards not good. Certainly not textbook so if you are looking for a txtbook example, that you can sell later with no trouble, this is not for you.
                Still, get him to measure highest and widest points and give you the weight.
                Is it from a dealer?

Skip

Comment

Hello Skip

Just sent the seller an E-mail requesting the measurements and weight of the clasp, lets see what he comes up with, the seller is private.

Kindest Regards

Mark <O</O

Comment

What originally threw me before I had my badge to compare to, is that the F in Ausf appears to have the correct tilt. Have previous fakes gotten this right.
                    Richard V

Comment

No Good

I have to agree that it is no good, there is no "Full Stop" after the AUSF. Attached photo of an original although it is difficult to pick out the dot because of the zinc bubbling it is there.

The lettering has improved and could fool easily in photos. It would be interesting to see what it is made of and how heavy it is. If it is zinc based then this would also make it difficult.

As Skip mentioned they have now also put grips on the sword handles. However these are not quite right. The angle of both on an original should be similar. On this one the grips on the left are almost horizontal and the ones on the right almost vertical.

It never ceases to amaze me how the fakes are continually made better and specifically improve areas which are used by collectors to determine authenticity and yet nobody knows who is doing it.

Regards
                      Rob
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by rhudspith; 08-14-2004, 03:18 AM.
                      Regards, Rob
                      Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

weight and measurements of clasp

Hi guys
                        <O</O
                        the seller got back to me with the weight and measurements of the badge

<O</O

Weight 25g or 3/4 oz

<O</O
                        clasp 65mm (i guess he measured the pin)

overall length 75mm

Do they match up with a known exsample ?

Many thanks

Kindest Regards

Mark <O</O
                        Last edited by Mauser; 08-14-2004, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Looks a little heavy and a little short. The clasps I have are 19.3 & 21.2g and are both 76.7mm

Regards
                          Rob
                          Regards, Rob
                          Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X