Strange U-boat badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
    Thanks John. That's excellent perspective on the impact of the internet on the evolution of the hobby.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    What is your take on the measurements issue above? From our research, I think you came up with a tolerance range?

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
      What is your take on the measurements issue above? From our research, I think you came up with a tolerance range?

John
      Hi John,

I agree with your summary of the topic. Measurements can vary depending on equipment used, temperature of the room, vaulting of the badge and user technique, so even an entire mm or two of difference may not be significant. And as Tom says the high quality Staegemeir copies have "original" measurements anyway.

Planchet thickness and weight can vary considerably too on originals from the same maker.

That's not to say these statistics aren't useful, of course. It's good to have a database of "usual" measurements. Like in any statistical analysis, comparing just two items is not that useful, but comparing the means (averages) of two larger populations can be useful to see if there is a difference between two variants. So the more the merrier for posting of statistics!

Also within one's own collection, when using the same equipment and technique to measure badges at the same sitting, one would expect a much smaller variability than in readings from two completely different sources on the internet, so in that case a greater than 1 mm difference between unvaulted examples may indeed raise flags.

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
        .....but if it is a sand casting like Mike says, there should be a difference in the dimensions.
        Late again, but I did only "?" sand casting as a possible reproduction method in this case. For the record, I've done some comparisons of sand-cast v their originals and was VERY suprised that the differencve in size was as low as only 1 or 2% in some cases, nowhere near the 5% which I've seen quoted in other places. For a 40mm badge, the shrinkage COULD be as low as only 0.4mm using sand casting!

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X