CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HIGH SEAS FLEET in TOMBAK?? BRASS??...I'M PUZZLED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIGH SEAS FLEET in TOMBAK?? BRASS??...I'M PUZZLED!

Hello folks. This one's a bit of a mystery (to me, at least). Absolutely STUNNING detail to the obverse...really crisp from the battleship and water details, right up to the mean ol' eagles face. Virtually no "flash" from the cut-outs, and no over-spill of gilt finish to the reverse. There's an odd "divot" in the rear of the badge that the finish covers as well. The photo doesn't show the contrast between the badge and wreath very well, but the battleship is a nice bronze / tombak color, whereas the wreath still retains its gilt. The catch also has me baffled, as it's got a round / flat base w/ upwardly bent "C" catch. The hinge is more like what I'd expect to see on an IAB / PAB, etc, (not that there weren't makers who utilized round wire stock for pins)...If the details weren't so fine, I wouldn't be so inquisitive, however I thought this one deserved a better look by those of you who're "in the know" w/ KM badges. I can't seem to find a precedent for one in this configuration amongst either the known originals OR repros. A few pix below. Thank you!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by Nordmark; 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Hello Nordmark. Thanks for your comment. Do you have some precedent (who made this one?) I can't find one like it anywhere, and I dare say, if it's indeed a repop, it's got almost finer details than any original I've seen. Thanks for your post, and if you can enlighten me further (other than the obvious disparity between the hardware), I'm all ears. Thx.

Comment

Last edited by Nordmark; 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Hi Milton,

It looks like reproduction of a Souval by the same faker who produced the badges in this thread:
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=Souval

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Thanks Norm. Now THAT was what I was looking for! I've got to say, the attention to the obverse details of the ship are really (IMO), quite nice and crisp. The color of the ship and the hardware was the first thing that threw me (the coloration is washed out due to the flash), but that notwithstanding, I'm in agreement that it does indeed look to have been made by the same mfg'r. Any idea what vintage these are ? 50's, 60's, 70's??
              Oh, and Nordmark, Ich bedanke mich auch fuer die Auskunft! Thx, Milto.

Comment

Yes, R. Souval Fake postwar

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
                  ...Any idea what vintage these are ? 50's, 60's, 70's??
                  Hi Milton,

The quality is too poor for the 50's or even early 60's, I think. My guess (and it's only a guess) is later, 70's or 80's. Better would be if someone could recall seeing one from an old collection?

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

Thanks. Interesting, as I actually think the quality (as regards the depiction of the ship and eagle), was quite good! The hardware and color of the battleship notwithstanding. Honestly, some of the original Kriegsmarine badges could be somewhat lacking in details and quality in finish from what I've seen over the years. I'd not seen this particular repro before, but it'd be a good addition to that thread of other repro badges by this "maker". Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X