No announcement yet.

Awards from veterans belt for opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow,what a great set of KM awards.I agree that they all appear to be original zincers with the exception of the Schwerin fleet badge.

Along with Norm i would also like to see some close up's of the Destroyer badge and the FO Aux Cruiser.

A very nice set from one veteran.

Thanks,Martin.

Comment

ladies and gentlemen please find attatched additional photos as per your request ;
      Attached Files

Comment

another ;
        Attached Files

Comment

And U boat badge ;
          Attached Files

Comment

Awesome belt, WOW
            sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Comment

Originally posted by waffen44 View Post
              ladies and gentlemen please find attatched additional photos as per your request ;
              Thanks for the additional photos!

Because of their mint condition these give a rare insight into the methods of finishing of these badges. For example, on the S.H.u.Co. Destroyer, it appears that the entire badge front and reverse was first coated in the dark colour of the ship and wave and obverse features, and then gilding applied to both wreath and reverse, and the gilding then fades quickly on the reverse. This seems consistent with the vestiges of gold colour sometimes seen on the reverse of worn examples as well, although they mostly look dark.

It's also now easy to appreciate that the HA Coastal Artillery badge and the f.o. Auxiliary Cruiser were also originally gilt on the reverse in the same manner as the wreath which then gradually fades over time. Very interesting.

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                It's also now easy to appreciate that the HA Coastal Artillery badge and the f.o. Auxiliary Cruiser were also originally gilt on the reverse in the same manner as the wreath which then gradually fades over time.
                Interesting observation indeed Norm
                On my Aurich CAB (enclosed) I can also see the traces of original gilt on the reverse.
                Cheers,
                Hubert
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                  Interesting observation indeed Norm
                  On my Aurich CAB (enclosed) I can also see the traces of original gilt on the reverse.
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert
                  Hi Hubert,

And yet, yours sure does look like there was a silver undercoating on the reverse first, doesn't it?

Cheers.
                  ---Norm

Comment

Yes, it does look like gilt was applied on silver undercoating.
                    Cheers,
                    Hubert

Comment

Hi Hubert,

So it seems Aurich sometimes applied the silver undercoating and other times didn't, and in either case the gilding on the reverse would quickly wear off?

Perhaps yours is an earlier production than the one on the belt featured in this thread?

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Hate Belt

Hello,
                        This was one of the best 'Hate Belts' that I have ever seen. Here are images of a hate belt that appeared on the show. Is this the same belt?

Great find and I wish I had it.

Regards,
                        Jody
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jody View Post
                          Hello,
                          This was one of the best 'Hate Belts' that I have ever seen. Here are images of a hate belt that appeared on the show. Is this the same belt?

Great find and I wish I had it.

Regards,
                          Jody
                          Hi Jody,

Interesting. That's clearly a different belt from the one in this thread. Where did those images come from?

Best regards,
                          ---Norm

Comment

I have been offered an item of SS clothing that i am very interested in so i have put this belt up for offer on e-stand .

Comment

Kriegsmarine Belt & Awards

I should think it more than likely that the awards were fixed to the belt by an allied soldier. My father and many of his comrades used to do this, and I believe it was fairly common practice at the time, although, I have not seen many such decorated belts come to light over the years. This is one of the exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by norman View Post
                                I should think it more than likely that the awards were fixed to the belt by an allied soldier. My father and many of his comrades used to do this, and I believe it was fairly common practice at the time, although, I have not seen many such decorated belts come to light over the years. This is one of the exceptions.
                                Hi norman,

Yes, I think that's already been established.

Best regards,
                                ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X