Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat War Badge (Personal question)

Gentlemen,

If I purchased an original U-Boat War Badge and had it electroplated with 24K gold, would this process devalue the badge?

I'm not trying to make it something it's not... I just like nice things in my personal collection.

Regards,
    Don_

If you plated a ground dug badge you would not hurt the value at all IMO.
    However, if you find a ground dug u-boat badge, please let us see it before you do anything.

Comment

U-boat badge

Hello,
      That is rather a silly question. If you took a nice badge and elctroplated it of course you would hurt its value. It is like chrome plating a German helmet.

Keep in mind, Kriegsmarine badges were never gold plated-they were fire-gilted (which gives them a gold appearnce, but not the finish has no gold).

Just buy a nice badge with a nice finish and not destroy it.

Jody

PS-I like nice things in my collection too and look at this destroyers badge of mine. It was not gold plated, just original fire-gilt.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Don Prince View Post

Gentlemen,

If I purchased an original U-Boat War Badge and had it electroplated with 24K gold, would this process devalue the badge?

I'm not trying to make it something it's not... I just like nice things in my personal collection.

Regards,
        Don_
        This is a wind-up right...

Comment

Originally posted by Jody View Post
          It is like chrome plating a German helmet.
          Hehe and yes, a bad idea Don

Nice destroyer Jody!

Comment

Jody, I thought fire gilded was gold disolved in mercury and then fired off to leave behind the gold.?

Terrence

Comment

Love the badge Jody.....your collection never ceases to amaze me!!!!
              Greg

Comment

If you must have a 24k plated badge, why not buy a good quality reproduction and have it plated? Altering an original WWII badge, no matter what the condition, lowers the value.
                Brian

Comment

It is like chrome plating a German helmet.

Hey, I resent that. I have a massive collection of chrome German helmets!

Comment

Its your badge so you are free to do what you want with it.

However, for most collectors it would be practically worthless after being gold plated.

MB

Comment

Originally posted by fdodge View Post
                      Hey, I resent that. I have a massive collection of chrome German helmets!

Do your's have the spike on top and large maltese cross decal as well?

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by VonStigler1 View Post
                        If you must have a 24k plated badge, why not buy a good quality reproduction and have it plated? Altering an original WWII badge, no matter what the condition, lowers the value.
                        Brian
                        Agree!

Comment

IMHO it would be a collector sin! Give it to someone who'll appreciate it and as suggusted gold plate a real good quality fake. Lord know's they are out there (as in my repo box!).
                          Just my humble 2 cents.
                          Greg

Comment

Do your's have the spike on top and large maltese cross decal as well?
                            Yes on the spike, but no Maltese cross. They do have the dingle-balls that hang in the back though.
                            OMG, without the Maltese cross, is my hiuge collection worthless?

Comment

AND, I'm still looking for a ground dug u-boat badge.......

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X