Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A call to arms

Gents,

I think it is really imperative someone n the Kriegsmarine forum takes ownership of policing the Staegemeir fakes. Tom Durante and I are looking closely at army and luft, but no one posts regular updates on his KM fakes.

Here is an excellent Heer Flak so you can see how close he is getting: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=430537

The worry is his fakes will get so good they will one day "become" the real badges. I hope you will take this as a wakeup call. His fakes are THAT GOOD. You really need an idiot like us that knows all the minutiae, looks at tons of badges, that can discern a die-flaw from a fake casting pattern picked up in runs of fakes.

SO I hope you will start and I look forward to seeing what you all learn!
    Thanks,
    Marc

Originally posted by Marc Garlasco View Post
    ...but no one posts regular updates on his KM fakes.

I am not saying his KM stuff should not be watched, but his KM crap is really not that good...

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Does Staegemeir have a website? How do we find these badges?
      Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Sehr geehrter Freund und Sammler !

Viele Artikel aus Sammlungsauflösung und von Privat !

Sichern Sie sich jetzt noch die besten Sachen !

Hier die direkten Links zu den Auktionen:
        (falls der Link nicht funktioniert einfach herauskopieren und in die Adresszeile einfügen)

Comment

Marc,

I suppose this can be done but do you have an opinion on why fakes get better and better? I have suspected for years, without proof, that certain fakers regularly monitor this and other forums for collectors posting badges and the reason they are not right. Or, new members posting a badge from a website with the old "is it good" question and then they disappear forever. Wonder why?

Attempts to attack this individual through his wares I doubt do anything but make his fakes better. My take but if somebody wants to to do this work, fine with me. Just my opinion.

I agree with Mark, his fakes are not that good. A collector, using this forum and its past threads with a little elbow grease, can certainly discern the difference.

I think that these current fakes are not good enough for members here to be fooled if they ask--the problem is the 99% of non-WAF/forum members who buy them off a website or at a show. Not much can help them I think.

I am apparently locked out of that website and have been for at least 3 years.

John
          Last edited by John R.; 04-21-2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I honestly don´t think the fakers need us for creating the perfect fake. All they need is a pair of functioning eyes and the original badge. Put them next to the fake, and they will see where the difference is. They don´t need an internet forum for this.

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Perhaps, but then, why does anyone need to come to a forum for verification of badges? This material can be tricky and some can develop an eye, with time, others cannot. Fakers included.

Indeed, they do not need us, but we are certainly a thorn in their side.

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                Marc,

I suppose this can be done but do you have an opinion on why fakes get better and better? I have suspected for years, without proof, that certain fakers regularly monitor this and other forums for collectors posting badges and the reason they are not right. Or, new members posting a badge from a website with the old "is it good" question and then they disappear forever. Wonder why?

Attempts to attack this individual through his wares I doubt do anything but make his fakes better. My take but if somebody wants to to do this work, fine with me. Just my opinion.
                Hi guys,

John, I can totally understand your point and I think you are partially right. We don't need to post fakes and then tell everyone what is wrong with it. But rather, what I have done is just post his recent fakes but don't mention any details of what is incorrect. This way, there is a record of how his fakes progress and anyone searching the forums can see this information and a good baseline of what the fakes look like.

Like Marc says, several of us have been doing this with his Heer and LW badges for a few years now, but not much attention has been devoted to Kriegsmarine. Maybe you guys are right and his fakes aren't that good. But based on his Heer and LW fakes, I can honestly say that many of them will and have fooled many experienced collectors. So collectors with not much experience are definately getting burned on these.

So if you can think about 5 or 10 years into the future, you can see the potential of many newer collectors entering the hobby and buying these Staegemeir fakes as originals. With no online references calling these badges fakes (like we do on the Heer and LW forums), many collectors will be thinking these are what originals will look like. If you get enough collectors to think like that, guess what.......the fakes now become the originals. Not only that, but then the origianls become the fakes because they don't look like the "originals". It can be a slippery slope and I have already seen cases of this where guys are posting fakes and really having a hard time believing it could be fake.

So really my reason for doing it is selfish, its self-preservation. I want to make sure the originals in our collections remain to be seen as originals, and not fakes.

Tom
                If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

OK then. If somebody will start the ball here with an example or two from his site, we can create a new thread devoted to his fakes and pin it to the top.

Just need somebody to start the new thread and I will pin it. I do not have access to that website so someone else needs to start and the members here need to add to it as new examples come along.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X