reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Good one...

Daniel

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Love the detail in this badge, Eagle is super crisp!!!

Comment

Finish is remarkably good too for this maker.

Comment

Original badge, no doubt!The finish and crispness of this badge are too good, almost unreal, any chance to show us detail of the eagle's claws, the detail looks not to be so good there

Comment

I have to agree with Lubo. While a period badge, something has been done to the obverse finish. It should not look like this and if you do a search against other examples, you will see the problem. What you are looking for with this badge is an almost grey finish. In some very very rare cases, there is some gold finish remaining--

The grey like finish is also normally apparent on the lower hull of the S-boat.

in this case, it looks like polished bronze. Like I said, if you do a search for this badge, you will see exactly what I am talking about.

The reverse is what I would expect for this badge. It just did not hold its finish very well although a nice design and desirable badge. The reverse is usually covered with small bubbles.

The AS S-boat did hold its finish, but Schwerin's example did not for whatever reason involving the processes used at the time.

Do you own it or are you thinking about buying it?

John

Comment

This area also gives me concern. You will not find this blob on a typical example. John
                  Attached Files

Comment

I agree. This piece started out as an original but has been dicked with over the years.
                    best wishes,
                    jeff
                    Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Re the finish, I believe "early" Schwerin zincers received a more durable thick plated finish compared to more typical "later" Schwerin zincers. I don't recall seeing it on their second pattern E-boat to this extent before though. These plated examples DO hold their gilt finish very well. I'm just not 100% sure about the tone of the gilding on this example from these pics on my screen. I can't tell if the obverse gilding has been refinished or just polished/cleaned. The silvering on the obverse looks original though (there is some typical bubbling under the silver plating present on the right hand wave).

Re the poor detail around the eagle's foot, this MAY (only may) be the effect of another bubble.

Regards
                      Mike
                      Regards
                      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I agree with some of the concerns raised here...but, somehow, it's still just a nice looking badge isn't it...cheers, S
                        Cheers, Steve
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

ok boys here we go, I have the badge in my hand. I'm selling a collection for someone and havent paid anything yet. Anything that is questionable is going back.

About this badge, I have tried to take a shot of the reverse where you can see that it seems to have a final layer of some sort of metal and that it has been worn off on one place. I cant see any evidence that it has been messed with. The thing next to the swaz is solid and seems to have the exact same color as the rest.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X