High seas fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High seas fleet

Greetings: Being a novice badge collector, I posted a high seas fleet badge on e-stand for sale. I have been informed that perhaps a discussion was needed on this particular piece. I will now post it for your comments. Thank you for all replies and information.
    Best Regards
    Zeke
    Attached Files

high seas

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Fleet badge

Makers mark. Thank you for all replies. It is much appreciated.
      Best Regards
      Zeke
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Zeke, unfortunately this HSF is a fake. Sorry for the bad news.
        best wishes,
        jeff
        Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Here is an original to compare.
          best wishes,
          jeff
          Attached Files

Comment

reverse
            Attached Files

Comment

I agree.
              Best regards,
              Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff V View Post
                Hi Zeke, unfortunately this HSF is a fake. Sorry for the bad news.
                best wishes,
                jeff
                Greetings Jeff: Thank you for the reply and for displaying you badge. I have been scrolling back and forth and to my untrained eye am not sure what I am looking for. Outside of the one I posted is lacking detail (looks like wear), where should I be looking to distinguish a fake. I have just become interested in badges and I realize it is a lifelong learning experience, but could you give me some pointers as to whether it is detail or positioning of structure or the oak leaf ring or some characteristic or a combination of all these that recognize it as a repo. I remember a PAB I had enquired about and it was referred to as a 2 dot(daisy) fake . The only characteristic it displayed as a fake is that it had 2 dots in the daisies. Is there something as simple as that, that distinguishes this as a repo. I hope this makes sense to you. I always appreciate help provided."Thank you"
                Regards
                Zeke

Comment

Zeke, Mike Kenney has an excellent article about HSF badges and how to discern originals.

I believe the one you show is the so called "Cave Creek" Special. An offspring of a batch of fakes originating out of the US in the 1980's.

Comment

Hi Zeke
                    One of the things i look for on these badges by this maker is seen easier from the back,if you look on an original where the top mast comes across on either side you can see a little triangle shape sticking out towards the mast on the wreath,
                    if you look closely the original one shown has it but unfortunatly yours does not so that is one pointer amongst others to look for ,sorry for the bad news
                    cheers
                    Gaz
                    Last edited by gaz; 06-13-2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Hi Zeke, many times the easiest way to spot a fake is to focus on the hardware. Compare the pins, hinges, and catches. Also, compare the maker marks closely. I agree with the others that Mike Kenny's thread on distinguishing real from fake on these Schwerins is a must read!!! Good luck and remember we all started from the same point you are in right now.
                      best wishes,
                      jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff V View Post
                        Hi Zeke, many times the easiest way to spot a fake is to focus on the hardware. Compare the pins, hinges, and catches. Also, compare the maker marks closely. I agree with the others that Mike Kenny's thread on distinguishing real from fake on these Schwerins is a must read!!! Good luck and remember we all started from the same point you are in right now.
                        best wishes,
                        jeff
                        Yes it is a fake. I wish Mike Kenny's article was available but there are software problems and it is not for now. I have no estimated date at which it will be restored. Same with Rob Hudspith's article.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X