GWL U-Boot badge opinions requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GWL U-Boot badge opinions requested

I just picked this up and would like any opinions.
    Attached Files
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

back
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul,

Looks really nice and original too.

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

For me it has the same appearance as an example I owned that turned out to be a well cast fake. The finish was also one of the indicators, and this finish from these pics look the same.

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I believe it is probably OK, please give us the width, height, wingspan and weight in mm and gms.

Problem is that this one has been faked to a fairly high standard. However, the wear looks good to me.

Higher resolution images would also help. John

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
            For me it has the same appearance as an example I owned that turned out to be a well cast fake. The finish was also one of the indicators, and this finish from these pics look the same.

Regards
            Mike
            What other indicators are you seeing here Mike? John

Comment

The rough fine sandpaper effect to the obverse and reverse in areas with AND without finish. I also see some weak obverse detail in the bridge/keel areas.

Maybe bigger/better pics will help.

Once burned, twice shy - the GWL U-boat castings are VERY good.

Regards
              Mike
              Regards
              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

As I discussed about 2 years ago, this GWL fake is pretty good IF it had been roughed up a bit. It shows the sandpaper effect, etc.

So the close up high resolution images of the badge in question would help.

Without that, it is a big maybe.

John
                Attached Files

Comment

Fake Gwl.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Fake Gwl 2
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                      As I discussed about 2 years ago, this GWL fake is pretty good IF it had been roughed up a bit. It shows the sandpaper effect, etc.

So the close up high resolution images of the badge in question would help.

Without that, it is a big maybe.

John
                      Hi John,

Thanks for posting those pictures. I agree with you that the badge you show is fake. However, the badge that started this thread still looks good, in my opinion. Even though the pictures are small, there is no comparison between the amount of detail present on that badge and the one you show. I also agree that measurements would be a big help. More so than bigger pictures. I have a couple GWLs, so I will dig them out and post some measurements of what I believe are originals. It may take a day or so as they are secured at another location.

Paul: Could you please post some measurements?

Best regards,
                      Tom
                      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The area circled in red below seems to be really messed up on the fake.
                        Attached Files
                        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The measurements should be:

Width: 48.6 mm
                          Height: 39.2 mm
                          Weight: 18 gr

John

Comment

Thanks John! Did you ever get measuremennts of that fake?
                            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The measurements are dead on. Now I will say where I got this from. Years ago I acquired a Kriegsmarine dagger with a name on the scabbard. The name is H. Jäger. Through the U-Boot archive in Germany I was put in touch with the officer's brother. Over the last 6-7 years we have become very friendly. I have even visited his home in Germany. Several years ago my friend gave me his brother's mine sweeper badge. His brother was awarded, after his death on U660, the EK2 and U-Boot badge. My friend only recently located it in the attic of the house where his family lived and where he now lives. It was stored on a box with silverwear. The EK and U-Boot badge have not seen the light of day for over 60 years.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X