Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minesweeper RS

Dear all,

I need your opinion about this Souval one!

Can it be original dispite of the poor quality or is it one from Souval's post-war productions?

Thanks in advance!

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/081010/RS11_w...toltes.hu_.jpg

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/081010/RS22_w...toltes.hu_.jpg
    Last edited by ajtony; 10-10-2008, 06:11 PM.

To make it a bit easier to study, I am posting the two images:
    Attached Files

Comment

reverse
      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the forum ajtony. I hope the members here will be able to help you this badge. John

Comment

Thanks John!

Comment

Hi pleased you have decided to post the award and am very interested what other forum members make of this as I could not give a positive yes or no. What i do not like about this award is the eagle(could be angle of the pics) does not resemble R.S, no evidence of the eagles distinctive feet and what I call the eagles hat. Bottom tie band looks poorly formed as does parts of the wreath. Always hard to determin metal with pics but to me it looks strange.What i do like about the award is the flash between wings, Reverse looks alot better, although Im . not 100% on the mm Notice the s. Interested in what you guys make of this as I find it quite interesting. All the best

Comment

Sorry never did ask do you have a pic of the eagle, or the award at a diffent angle ie straight on. May show in a totally different light.

Comment

On the fence as well MRG, but I am starting to lean toward casting. Like you said the eagle isn't to spec and the band is not right either. The reverse setup looks close, but all the original RS minesweepers I have seen have had a flatwire catch and a square-based hinge. It could still be an original with a crappy strike and slightly different hardware, personally I would keep walking.
                Cheers,
                Brian

Comment

I think the reverse setup is good, letters--hinge--pin and catch.

So I think it depends if you are buyer, seller or owner. If a buyer, I would pass. If a seller, I think you can sell it as period since I see no way to really prove it is not period. If it is in your collection, I would keep it and assume it is OK.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but this type of badge really is hard to give a firm statement one way or the other, especially with the maker RS.

John
                  Last edited by John R.; 10-12-2008, 04:09 AM.

Comment

The more I look at this badge the more it appears to be a good badge. Checked on another forum for you and the opinion there is that it is a period badge also and that the flaws are typical of this maker for zinc.

The specs come in at around 26.3 gr and dimensions in the region of 55mm x 44.5mm.

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_296486-->John

Comment

Thank you guys, I will post more photos soon!

Comment

I have got one of these "RS" Minesweepers which I got from a New Zealand soldier who brought it back from Italy in 1945. What I like about this one is the color, plating, hinge, catch and letters used. It is a dull one and that is nice.

Post war ones tend to be brightly plated and thicker than war time ones. I will find my ones and post some images so you can see what I mean.

What some members are referring to as casting marks are not. This badge is just a poor war time strike which may have suffered from inferior material or there being some crap in the die.

Either way in my opinion, a good war time badge. Will post some images soon to help others decide,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                          What some members are referring to as casting marks are not. This badge is just a poor war time strike which may have suffered from inferior material or there being some crap in the die.

Chris
                          I agree with your assessment Chris. John

Comment

Chris,
                            Some good points in reference to late war production.
                            I would certainly like to see some detailed pic's of the of the badge from the NZ vet.
                            Please post them when you have the time.

Much appreciated,Martin.

Comment

That's good to read, thanks for the confirmation!

Let me post some other photos then:

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/081014/DSCN06...toltes.hu_.jpg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X