U-Boat Badge, Opinion on purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat Badge, Opinion on purchase

I dont know much about u-boat badges other then how well they look with their gilding intact. I'm thinknig on buying this piece and would like some opinions. It appears to be genuine WWII period but the price leaves be a bit puzzled. A U-boat badge of this quality i have seen for sale by other dealers for 900-1100 USD and this one is considerably less.

What would you value this piece at and is it WWII period?

I've seen u-boat badges with no gilding going for about the same price that this is being sold at. Sounds too good to be true but the dealer has a very good reputation in selling genuine period pieces.

Your opinions, expertise, and advice are very much welcomed,

Please & Thanks,

Hi JR,

That example has hardware not found on original Schwerin U-boat Badges. The obverse design IS Schwerin. As no repairs are apparent, imo it is not period and my value would be in the $25-50 range.

Regards
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

this is clearly a repro as Mike says..............

Comment

U-boat badge

Hello JR,
        I tried to post on this thread last night but my internet went down. As everyone has said it is a fake and I might go as far as to say it should be classified as a "Cave Creek" special. Several of these badges are in circulation around here in Arizona and there is an example of one of these for sale in an Antique shop in Prescott, AZ. I should know I saw it yesterday.

Regards,
        Jody

Comment

Why incognito John?

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
            Why incognito John?

????????

care to elaborate?

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone, its for sale on a site that doesnt allow reproduction pieces of any sort so I'll pm the webmaster to have it removed.

Thanks again for the help,

JR

Comment

The add said the pin may of been replaced or it is a variation.

Comment

I've seen these exact pieces floating around on gunbroker for awhile now.

Comment

A U-boat badge of this quality i have seen for sale by other dealers for 900-1100 USD and this one is considerably less.

I've seen u-boat badges with no gilding going for about the same price that this is being sold at. Sounds too good to be true but the dealer has a very good reputation in selling genuine period pieces.quote]

The reason it is considerably less is that in my opinion it is a fake. Details and edges are too soft, looks like a very good casting from an original early badge with wrong hardware and wrong finish.

As usually the case, it is too good to be true and obviously the dealer knows it also otherwise he would have priced it at the maket rate not cut price discount.

Which dealer is it, looks like his reputation has been dented a little to me
                    Regards, Rob
                    Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

its a listing on GermanMilitariaCollectibles and the seller is the first on their featured sellers list. He also has a gold wound badge that is in amazing condition.....no maker mark. That item has aroused my suspicion for awhile also.

Comment

Can't see how this guy has a good reputation. just had a quick look through his other KM listings - the Blockade Breaker (note does not show reverse) 99% is a cave creek special and the Naval Honour role clasp 100% is a fake, which for sure he knows as he is selling it way below the going rate.
                        Regards, Rob
                        Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X