Schwerin HSF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim,

I would be very interested in seeing a full reverse pic of your example. Some catch (?and hinge?) close-ups wouls alos be appreciated.

Regards
    Mike

Originally posted by james m View Post
    Recent acquisition and a purchase from a vets grandson: This is a late war zinc example:
    Jim

Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Westley View Post
      Interesting catch and catchplate that Jim posted of his zinc example,(post #27).
      I don't think i have seen a Schwerin Zinc fleet badge with a rectangular catch plate before?

Regards,Martin.
      Neither had I Martin:
      I am in no way a badge expert myself.
      However Bob Hritz did a hands on inspection of this badge the last time we got together and assures me the badge is legit.
      Jim

Comment

Ill pop my war veteran in too.. the gold finish is a little better than what the pic shows, was testing out a new toy, a light tent to help even the lighting out, still need to work on the color adjustment now..
        A bunch of very nice HSF badges being shown... wow....
        Van
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Sure enough. Here you go Mike: The hinge is virtually identical as the one shown in #45.
              Jim

Comment

Jim,

the hingeblock is definately what one would find on a Schwerin tombak badge.I am inclinded to think that this is a tombak example with a replaced catch ,and possibly mainpin?
                Seeing as everone is posting some great looking badges in this thread here is a nice zinc badge that i have

Regards,Martin.
                Attached Files

Comment

Reverse,with cicular catch plate and flat wire catch that is typical of Schwerin zincers.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Martin,

Even in zinc they are terrific looking badges. Your has done well to keep its gold wash on the wreath.

Robert

Comment

Martin:
                      Bob Hritz told me the badge was zinc when he inspected it. I'm just going by what he said as he's certainly more knowledgeable about these than I.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                        Martin,

Even in zinc they are terrific looking badges. Your has done well to keep its gold wash on the wreath.

Robert
                        Thanks Robert.It is always nice to find a good looking zincer.

Jim,

it is definately tombak.Myself and Van have posted zinc examples above and you can clearly see the difference in the reverse hardware.
                        I can see it would be very easy to beleive the badge was a zincer with the catchplate which is not found on tombak examples.
                        Just my opinion.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Hello,

Is it just me or does the HSF badge Jim has posted lack some port hole windows on the right side of the ship? This badge was put up for viewing on the other forum and received mixed reviews because the pin, hinge pin and catch were not commonly found on Tombac examples. According to Mike Kenny's great article, the above mentioned characteristics do not "jive" with Kenny's information. Maybe the pin, hinge pin and catch plate have all been replaced sometime down the road...who knows.

Just my 2 cents worth

CM

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for posting the extra reverse pic. To be honest, I have concerns/questions over this one. Although it appears OK from the obverse (CM has raised some good points re some finer detailing though), to me there are several characteristics I normally look for that appear to be missing from the reverse, the sloppy main pin and unusual catch aside.

Any chance of some detailed measurements and a weight?

Regards
                            Mike
                            Regards
                            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

soft

I am by far no expert but the details on the badge in question kind of look a little soft in my opinion? Not enough sharpness to the outline edges oh the ship?
                              Steve M.

Comment

Here's what I have:
                                Overall length: 55MM
                                Width at widest point: 41MM
                                I don't have any accurate way of weighing it.
                                All portholes are present on both sides of the ship.
                                I don't claim to have the best photo skills either.
                                My photos tend to come out "soft".
                                Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X