Heer Soldier wearing U-Boat badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer Soldier wearing U-Boat badge

I recently saw a period photograph of a Heer soldier wearing a U-Boat badge but can't seem to locate it, or where I saw it. Does anyone have it?

Also, I have seen a post war photograph of another wartime Heer RKT in some type of post war uniform, wearing 57 re-issue awards, and he too is wearing some sort of sub badge.

Does anyone have any idea how these Heer soldiers qualified for such a badge?

Regards,

Chuck

Navy personel transfered into the Heer to fill manpower shortages.
    pseudo-expert

Comment

I have a deathcard of a Heer soldier who was KIA in the Ardennes '44.
      On his deathcard, there is a pic of him wearing his Kriegmarine uniform with Donald Duck cap.
      Many volksgrenadiers were former kriegsmarine of luftwaffe personel, like Don mentioned.

Best,

Comment

I seem to remember it was a guy wearing a black panzer uniform that had the U-Boat badge! Can't seem to find it at the moment.....

As Don mentioned, KM personel were transferred to make up manpower shortages also due to the fact their vessel could well have been sunk etc. However the photo looked earlier in the war rather than 1944/45........

I do have a Soldbuch with a photo (U-Boat badge just visible!) to a Leutnant in a Pionier unit....however his award was from the the Kaisermarine durin WWI.

I have quite a few late war transfers etc.....KM, LW to Heer or SS! Unfortunately most with photos of them wearing their awards in their respective branch at the time, prior to being transferred!

/Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

This thread?
          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=256372
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thank you Ian (and the others). This all makes perfect sence.

Ian, that was not the thread, but is quite interesting irregardless. I may have seen the photograph in a book. My wife also remembers me showing her the picture and commenting about it being quite unusual but she can't remember where we found it either.

Chuck

Comment

I seem to remember it was a guy wearing a black panzer uniform that had the U-Boat badge!
              Possibly the Herman Goring Sub division???? lol....

I have seen photo's of Luftwaffe wearing Heer gabs and Iabs, Heer wearing Luftwaffe Flak, but never seen Heer wearing Kriegsmarine... cool... If you or anyone should find the photo's again, please post.. thanks.
              Van

Comment

I think you are talking about the U-boat crews and other naval personnel brought into action at the end of the war on the Western Front, against the British I think. They are wearing their U-boat badges and did an outstanding job in the infantry role. I too forget where I saw those photos, but have seen them standing around their Commanders. They were organized into marine infantry units.

I would ask over on the photo forum and let us know what you find out--it is interesting.

I will try to find the photo of an officer that was in the spring of 1945 a company commander of commandos (marine infantry) on the Eastern Front with the EK1, EK2, MS, U-boat, U-boat frontspange in bronze, infantresturmabzeichen, nahkampfspange in bronze, polezeidienstauszeichnung and more on his uniform, plus pre-war waterprotection police cap eagle and gold metal police eagle!!!!!

John
                Last edited by John R.; 12-31-2007, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Found this picture
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kokstok View Post
                    Found this picture
                    The soldier next to Donitz is wearing KM Coastal Artillery uniform.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                      I think you are talking about the U-boat crews and other naval personnel brought into action at the end of the war on the Western Front, against the British I think. They are wearing their U-boat badges and did an outstanding job in the infantry role. I too forget where I saw those photos, but have seen them standing around their Commanders. They were organized into marine infantry units.

I would ask over on the photo forum and let us know what you find out--it is interesting.

I will try to find the photo of an officer that was in the spring of 1945 a company commander of commandos (marine infantry) on the Eastern Front with the EK1, EK2, MS, U-boat, U-boat frontspange in bronze, infantresturmabzeichen, nahkampfspange in bronze, polezeidienstauszeichnung and more on his uniform, plus pre-war waterprotection police cap eagle and gold metal police eagle!!!!!

John
                      That would be very interesting to see,.............if you can locate it. Never saw that one before.

I know that some Naval troops served under the command of my relative (my avatar pic) in Latvia, but don't know how they were uniformed.

Chuck

Comment

[quote=vonStubben;
                        Also, I have seen a post war photograph of another wartime Heer RKT in some type of post war uniform, wearing 57 re-issue awards, and he too is wearing some sort of sub badge.

Does anyone have any idea how these Heer soldiers qualified for such a badge?

Regards,

Chuck[/quote]
                        Hi,
                        the 57 foto is of Siegmund Matheja i believe. He started as a u-boat sailor and the recieved the RK as soldier in the GD division after knocking out panzers with Panzerfaust.http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de/index_...searchword=mat
                        On this foto you can see part of his u-boat badge.
                        Cheers
                        Petrus
                        Attached Files

Comment

Photos

On page 44 of Torpedo Los there is a photo of an officer with the U-boat badge, U-boat frontspange, EK1, EK2 in field grey part of the Marine Panzervernichtungsabteilung. Below the photo of Peter Cremer.

It really was not that rare that naval personnel ended up in Herr units or Marine Infantry units throughout the war. Or, although less common I think, for Herr/LW to go into the Navy.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Petrus View Post
                            Hi,
                            the 57 foto is of Siegmund Matheja i believe. He started as a u-boat sailor and the recieved the RK as soldier in the GD division after knocking out panzers with Panzerfaust.http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de/index_...searchword=mat
                            On this foto you can see part of his u-boat badge.
                            Cheers
                            Petrus
                            Yes, this is the fellow I was speaking of. What post war uniform is he wearing?

Chuck

Comment

German custom i believe
                              Best
                              Petrus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X