Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RS&S High Seas Fleet, Opinions please

Hi there,

This one has come up for offer, I'm not very familiar with Rudolf's handiwork in the HSFs, any opinions? what is this made of ? Buntmetal, Zinc?

Nice zinc badge by Richard Simm & Sohne with a wide pin.Examples can also be found with a needle pin.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

I would like to just point out the sloppy crimp jod on the hinge/catch compared to the badges here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=RS%26S
      pseudo-expert

Comment

I agree with Martin, a genuine zincer with original darkening finish.

Don, yes, this one has a messy hinge but from experience the ball hinges on these can work loose and start rotating around, so it's probably been "tightened" with light/small hammer taps at some stage. The pics aren't the best, so some sort of hinge/pin replacement is possible (using original parts though) although in this case I think unlikely.

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, in your opinion, and I know its hard to tell from the photos, will this badge last the distance in terms of the fact that it IS a Zinc and will "corrode" over time? I'm conscious of the return for investment and that the onset of zinc pest and discolouration of the gold might devalue the badge in years to come.

Comment

I have a couple of zinc badges in my collection that i have had for 20 years.They have shown no sign of deterioration.I keep them in the dark,i handle them as little as possible,and when i do i use cotton gloves.A little vaseline on the reverse has halted any kind of corosion developing.
            So far it's worked for me.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Martin,

Okay a really dumb question, can you put vaseline on the FRONT or obverse of the badge ?

Jeff

Originally posted by Martin Westley View Post
              I have a couple of zinc badges in my collection that i have had for 20 years.They have shown no sign of deterioration.I keep them in the dark,i handle them as little as possible,and when i do i use cotton gloves.A little vaseline on the reverse has halted any kind of corosion developing.
              So far it's worked for me.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Jeff,

front or back is OK.I would only apply it to the obverse of a badge if it already has signs of corosion(zinc pest).However,i have heard that vaseline can be a deterrant?
                Try a search in the Conservation/Safe Keeping forum.

Regards,Martin.
                Last edited by Martin Westley; 11-23-2007, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Nice original and with a good amount of finish too . RS&S are one of my favourite designs of all the HSF awards. All the best

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X